ULEZ EURO4 to EURO6 options

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
sherwoac
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.8 20V Turbo

ULEZ EURO4 to EURO6 options

Post by sherwoac »

I have a 2014 Caddy Life 2.0 Tdi (140) DSG, I'm very happy with it. I live within the A406 in North London, but outside the inner congestion zone. The ULEZ restrictions will come into force in October 2021 according to TFL (https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/ultra- ... e-and-when).

I don't want to pay the £12.50 a day (=£4.5k/yr), so I have the following options:
1) sell it and buy something EURO6
2) convert it somehow (engine swap or Euro4->Euro6 conversion)
3) swap it (anyone?..)
4) move
5) become a petrolhead activist

The last 3 options seem a unlikely.

Currently I'm exploring option 2. Does anybody have any solid information about, or experience of, conversion to EURO6 and reclassification (via VOSA)? I've googled it and it seems only available on bigger engined vehicles - where it makes economic sense I guess.

According to this article (https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/car ... ct-me.html), 2.5million cars will be affected by the ULEZ expansion and are gonna need converting or selling - so converting cars could become viable and SH diesel prices are gonna tank.

Thanks!
SnoWhite
Twin Turbo poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Re: ULEZ EURO4 to EURO6 options

Post by SnoWhite »

A few minutes on Google will show there are already several firms testing and indeed offering bolt on solutions to do just that.
This is just one of many:-

https://solutions.baumot.de/en/products ... cr-system/

But before you start booking trips to Germany, please note the frequent use of the words "real conditions", which means they have not yet managed to get any official endorsement showing that in laboratory testing the system works to the required standards. So whilst this kit may indeed allow vehicles to fully meet even the latest Euro 6c standards, as far as VOSA is concerned, this sort of kit has no official status and no relevance to them - even if it means the UK misses out on massive environmental benefits.

The problem is VOSA. Their systems and thought processes seem to be designed in the stone age. They basically have no way to update the Euro Category of a previously registered vehicle, let alone get their systems to record that vehicles have been modified from one category to another.

If you have ever attempted to register a kit car or even a simple import, you will see how hopelessly out of touch they are.

Inherently the SVA system should provide an obvious way to prove that a vehicle has now been fitted with an engine which complies with a different euro standard. Trundle along to an SVA centre - hand over a heap of cash - they test it works as intended and you leave with a certificate telling VOSA it can be registered. But that won't quite work, because for a vehicle to be tested and registered effectively as a "new vehicle" in say 2020 - the SVA system would also require your 2010 Caddy to be upgraded to meet all/any mandatory vehicle design requirements which had been introduced since it was manufactured. So from 202? year that presumably means also adding all those expensive GPS based speed monitoring gizmos which it seems May has already signed up to become mandatory.

All that extra baggage probably makes the whole idea of upgrading the engine emissions financial madness at least for any individual owner.

It really needs a major UK firm to develop or at least license similar bolt on technology - and get it tested and approved by VOSA - and then do a deal with the likes of Kwik-Fit to gear up to modify hundreds of vehicles each week using the kit, with their inhouse MOT team authorised to then update the Euro category showing on the VOSA database. If only...