MFSW

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
daz-uk
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (75bhp)

MFSW

Post by daz-uk »

The following MFSW is from a 64 plate Caddy highline, will it fit and work if coded etc in my 2014 caddy?

R25kav
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Re: MFSW

Post by R25kav »

It would need to have at least a midline setup under the column to work would just need to activate it via coding

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Post by Doc »

Yes, but you will need a steering wheel control module along with it.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
andyreflexsilver
100BHP+

Post by andyreflexsilver »

Yeah I’ve got one of these in my caddy, upgraded from the original plastic wheel. Had to upgrade the SWCM, and downgrade the stalks as I had trip on them.

sttr
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Post by sttr »

andyreflexsilver wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:23 pm Had to upgrade the SWCM, and downgrade the stalks as I had trip on them.
Why did you have to downgrade?
I am in the process of trying wrap my head around a mfsw upgrade but this is the first I have seen about downgrading.
Doc
Not God, just a bellend

Post by Doc »

You can't or rather shouldn't have a multi function steering wheel and trip stalk fitted together as the fight side of the wheel and the trip stalk perform the same function and can conflict.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
Dugpal
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Dugpal »

sttr wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:32 pm Why did you have to downgrade?
I am in the process of trying wrap my head around a mfsw upgrade but this is the first I have seen about downgrading.
I just got one working on mine. Bought a highline slip ring, the mfsw with only left side for radio, as my stalks have cruise on left and trip buttons on the right.
Once you have highline slip ring, mfsw you will need an airbag harness to link slip ring to airbag and mfsw.

Code it in and it should work fine.

As Doc said it might not work if you have two lots of buttons trying to do the same job on mfsw amd stalks though but I've not tried that.
2011 1.6 TDI
sttr
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by sttr »

Dugpal wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:48 pm As Doc said it might not work if you have two lots of buttons trying to do the same job on mfsw amd stalks though but I've not tried that.
Right.
I noticed after I left my comment. :oops:
Makes sense too.

Do you remember the part numbers of your wheel and stalks?
I think I have figured out the SWCM and slipring situation (emphasis on "think").
I am hunting for a 1k0 CH or CK version of the SWCM as I understand they will fit both lin1.3 and Lin2.0 wheels.
The Ross-tech site have a nice table showing part numbers for SWCM and what slipring will fit and what Lin version they support.

Do you know if a similar list for the stalks?
There is talk about a "G" version being good for this but i have no details what that actually means and why a G fits better than a F or a H...

My van has the "very low" version of cluster, stalks and SWCM.
Wheel is plain also.
At least it can only be improved from this.
Highline cluster and stalks/SWCM is next while mfsw is still a bit in the future.
Getting the wrong stalks now and need to upgrade again later would suck.
Dugpal
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Dugpal »

I didn't change my cluster. The one in only used to show temperature but once you get the trip switch buttons and activate all the mpg, trip info is enabled and can be scrolled through.

If you have a vagcom/vcds you can get the swcm nunber through that easy enough and can work out which you need.

It is likely you can fit trip buttons and cruise stalks without upgrading the swcm though. Fairly sure I just bought the stalks with them plugged them in and activated. Only reason I got highline swcm was to add the mfsw buttons.

What year is your van?
2011 1.6 TDI
sttr
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by sttr »

Dugpal wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:10 am I didn't change my cluster. The one in only used to show temperature but once you get the trip switch buttons and activate all the mpg, trip info is enabled and can be scrolled through.
I have the one without temp gauge.
This really bothers me and I am in the process of figuring out how to replace it with an upgraded version.
I have a 2k0920842 which is as low as they come.
Looking to replace it with a 920872.
These appears to be immo4a so immobilizer work should be doable.
If you have a vagcom/vcds you can get the swcm nunber through that easy enough and can work out which you need.
It is likely you can fit trip buttons and cruise stalks without upgrading the swcm though. Fairly sure I just bought the stalks with them plugged them in and activated. Only reason I got highline swcm was to add the mfsw buttons.
Hm yes I have.
My swcm is 1K0-953-549-AE which according to Ross-tech is a lowline version.
Its my understanding that I need a midline or highline to get cruisecontrol operational.
And since I need to upgrade anyway I can just as well upgrade to a highline version and prepare for a multifunction steering wheel.

Soo...
Since my van has a swcm with a type2 slipring and steering angle sensor I figure I need 1K0-953-549-CH or the CK version to be "futureproofed" for when and if I choose to install a mfsw.

But I am missing the connection to what kind of stalks I need.
Also how that choice will affect what kind of steering wheel I can get down the line.

Until I saw your post it didnt occur to me that stalks and mfsw could interfere with eachother,

What year is your van?
My van is a 2006 model.
I have had it for about a month now.

Does my understanding of the upgrade process make sense or have I misunderstood something along the away (highly possible)?
Its the Trip function on the stalk that is causing the issue isnt it?
If I have a mfsw, trip-on-stalk is not needed or wanted.
Without mfsw you need the trip function on the stalk?
r1lea
Hyper Poster

Post by r1lea »

Correct

Plain stalks
A CH module
A MFSW
And your good to go

Doc
Not God, just a bellend

Post by Doc »

The CH or CK module will only support MFSW of mk5 or mk6 generation.
The Cruise control stalk must be a version G.
You cannot fit a highline SWCM with just stalks and no MFSW for future proofing unless you are prepared not to have a working horn.

Dugpal
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Dugpal »

r1lea wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:03 am Correct

Plain stalks
A CH module
A MFSW
And your good to go

It will need the airbag mfsw harness 5K0 971 584 C
If its the same as mine was but mine is 2011 so probably different so better check.

If you use the old harness on the highline slipring as Doc said the horn doesn't work and there is no wire to go to mfsw plug on old harness.

I had to chamge my Slipring to use MFSW was 5K0953549B. Again though you would need to check your part number to get the right one as yours is older.
The swcm was already in the steering wheel I bought.
2011 1.6 TDI
sttr
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by sttr »

Doc wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:07 am The CH or CK module will only support MFSW of mk5 or mk6 generation.
I like the mk6 wheels a lot.
So some variant of this is in my future.
I understand mk7 wheels are out of the question for my van due to communication protocols changed?
The Cruise control stalk must be a version G.
I can get a genuine from dealer (pricey probably, havent checked) or from a breaker yard (takes time to dismantle and find the G version)
Are the china "clones" ok to use for this?
Bay of E

One of the pictures shows the connection pins. It has 4 populated pins out of a total of 5.
Is this as it should be?
I vaguely remember having read some post here on the forum about the number of pins but its hazy.
You cannot fit a highline SWCM with just stalks and no MFSW for future proofing unless you are prepared not to have a working horn.
Well crap....
Non-functional horn is a MOT-equivalent failure here.

So basically my options are
1. Getting a midline SWCM and a trip-on-stalk, while using the original steering wheel.
And then replace both the SWCM and the stalk when the time comes for mfsw upgrade.

Or

2. Do the SWCM, trip-on-stalk, original steering wheel now and live with nonfunctional horn.
And then replace stalk later with the mfsw upgrade.

Or

3. Go all in now and get the lot.
Not currently in my budget to do this...
The wheel, airbag and loom adds up to a tidy sum.

Or
4. Nevermind?
hm.. No!

And to think this all started with me wanting to get a instrument cluster that shows water temperature :)
r1lea
Hyper Poster

Post by r1lea »

Your gonna do it sooner or later mate so bite the bullet and do it all in one go, saves buying twice etc