Rear fog light issue

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
alfieargyle
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Rear fog light issue

Post by alfieargyle »

I'm after a bit of help and guidance please. I've got a warning message on the dash 'check rear left foglight'. I've checked and the lamp is fine. Before I start delving deeper does anyone know what the issue might be? Thanks in advance 👍
Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Re: Rear fog light issue

Post by Doc »

You say the lamp is fine, does it light up?
Yours is a LHD caddy? Rear fog is only on the drivers side so it must be.
Have you checked the plug and socket for corrosion?
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
alfieargyle
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by alfieargyle »

Hi Doc, thanks for the reply.
Mine is a 2015 RHD! I removed the rear left cluster and all the lamps were fine. Filaments all good and did a continuity check ok. I assumed there must be fog lights either side. I checked the fog lights and the fronts come on ok but nothing on the rear (left or right)!!
Doc
Not God, just a bellend

Post by Doc »

That is weird, maybe there is a mistake in the programming of the error message as the rear fog is only on the drivers side. Maybe someone at VW has missed this and it has only been set for a LHD vehicle.
Is yours a Caddy4, 2015 was the changeover year?
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
alfieargyle
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by alfieargyle »

It's one of the last black edition models so think that's before the caddy4?
Only had it a week and the 'rear fog light warning' has only came on in the last two days.
Could it be connected with the rear compartment light as I've disconnected that and dropped the roof lining to soundproof the back?
Doc
Not God, just a bellend

Post by Doc »

Nah, it won't be related to disconnecting the interior light.
Have a look at the right side tail light, that's where your rear fog should be.

alfieargyle
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by alfieargyle »

Thanks Doc, I'll look this morning and let you know👍
alfieargyle
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by alfieargyle »

Thanks Doc, all sorted. It was the fog light that had blown, but as you pointed out it is on the right hand side and not the left!! Thanks for the help.
Lambrettacraig
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Lambrettacraig »

Hi just had the same on mine. Dashboard warning light and the following warning;
Check fog light left side.
MOT tester said it wasn’t the bulb, could be a wiring issue. No front fogs fitted, only rear. When pulled out, the fog light on warning comes up, but the actual fog light isn’t on.
Has the mechanic made a schoolboy error and checked the left side and not the right side?

Thanks in advance
Doc
Not God, just a bellend

Post by Doc »

Most likely if the instrument cluster is saying the left side is blown then he will check the left, even if there is no rear fog there.

Lambrettacraig
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Lambrettacraig »

Will check right side bulb in the morning.
Lambrettacraig
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Lambrettacraig »

Van went back in today. Just had a call to say the garage thinks the BCM is at fault. He’s gonna run an independent relay to the rear fog, so it still works off the switch.

He said the dash light would probably stay on.

Can the relays on the BCM be changed individually? If so is there a specific one for the rear fog light? It’s beginning to get a bit of annoying problem now.

Thanks in advance
Craig