Axle flip query

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Afield23
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Axle flip query

Post by Afield23 »

I'm looking at taking my Caddy with me to New Zealand soon and they have fairly strict rules for compliance - one of those states flipped leaf springs are not allowed. Is a flipped axle different to this? My practical head tells me it is, in that flipped springs would have them hogging as opposed to sagging. Can anyone confirm?

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Giddy
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.4TSI

Re: Axle flip query

Post by Giddy »

I'm not familiar with NZ laws, but if it specifically states "flipped leaf springs are not allowed", then it's not applicable to how Caddy is lowered.
Leaf springs stay where they are, you don't flip them . You only relocate axle from the bottom of the springs to the top of the springs.
"Axle flip" is slightly misleading terminology, as you don't flip anything really.
Caddy 4, Highline, 1.4 TSI
Instagram: @giddywagen
Build thread >>> here <<<
Afield23
Hyper Poster

Post by Afield23 »

That's my understanding too, all we do is place the springs under the axle. Fingers crossed the exhaust passes emissions now.....! It's a headache for sure, lots of compliance to go through but I really don't want to leave it behind

Cy Russ
Caddy Fan

Post by Cy Russ »

I think if you flip the axel you'll have 5-6 reverse gears and one forward.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Afield23
Hyper Poster

Post by Afield23 »

. In light of all of this I just read an interesting article on a poor guy in NZ ordering a KW kits for his Audi S2 and they rejected it because of the welding and lack of certification. I'm awaiting a response for the NZ certifiers but it's looking increasingly like the less stressful solution will be to sell the van and give up on the idea. I could swap it all out for OE suspension but to be honest I'm not sure it's worth it, though I could sell the kit here I'm sure. It's very difficult to know what could happen when it arrives in NZ, and of course I don't want to be lumbered with a van that cannot be registered unless I change things back to standard.