Self Coding

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
DeanWhit
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Self Coding

Post by DeanWhit »

Ok chaps,
Seen loads of threads on here and a lot of them require having things coded. Other than going to VW I'm not sure who could do it in my area so I'm thinking I'll just do it myself.
Basically, I'm wondering what I need and how much it'll cost. Also is it reasonable to teach yourself how to do it.

Replies appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

DeanWhit
Hyper Poster

Re: Self Coding

Post by DeanWhit »

It doesn't matter, I've seen a couple of courses that may be worthwhile. Going to have a look into it.
Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Post by Doc »

From experience, I have to say there is nothing better to improve your understanding than to practice.
VCDS comes in at about £245 and you can play around and get familiar on your own vehicle before going out offering your services to others.

I purchased my first VCDS cable back in 2008 and it took me a few months to get confident to offer coding to others. There's lots to learn but most importantly the disaster recovery. If you change some coding that screws something up, 99% of the time the information is on your computer to put the coding back as you found it. I know people who have used and offered VCDS coding to others for years and don't know of this, for me it's very important and useful.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
DeanWhit
Hyper Poster

Post by DeanWhit »

Cheers for the reply Doc
It's something I'm going to have a look into.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

DeanWhit
Hyper Poster

Post by DeanWhit »

Right, I can't seem to find anyone who can do the coding.
I'm not keen on shelling out a fortune on equipment to do it myself but if I did, what EXACTLY would I need? I.E, laptop, windows, VAG, ect?
Other than that, does anyone know of anyone in the NW (Preston, wigan, Bolton, Manchester, liverpool) who does it?
Cheers in advance
ganjacubes
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Post by ganjacubes »

You need the cable, software and a PC. I got a cheap one on Ebay for about 40 quid. Seems to be working well so far, though I've only coded in a radio...

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

DeanWhit
Hyper Poster

Post by DeanWhit »

Nice one, thanks for the response.
ViralEye
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Post by ViralEye »

Depends on what you are looking to code - I've got an obdeleven and managed to activate more than several options

Sent from my ONEPLUS6 using Tapatalk

Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Post by Doc »

If you plan on eventually moving into offering coding services to others, I'd definitely advise against the cheaper or copy equipment. The advice I gave earlier in the thread still stands, you won't go wrong with a genuine original VCDS cable and seeing as you are having a hard time finding someone local I suspect you might be busy with it once you are up to speed.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
AdoleFiddler
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Post by AdoleFiddler »

Try looking into OBDeleven, it was brilliant on the mk7 golf. I’m yet to need to try it for anything on my pre facelift caddy. It also has a history menu that you can undo anything from
DeanWhit
Hyper Poster

Post by DeanWhit »

Appreciate all the replies guys but I think I'll take docs advice and invest in genuine stuff in the hope I can recoup it down the line when I figure out what I'm doing haha. Cheers.