Hello and Caddy Buying Advise

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
AugustRush
Caddy2k Groupie

Hello and Caddy Buying Advise

Post by AugustRush »

Hi All,

New to the fourm and thought I'd say hi after spending the last few hours scrolling though posts.

Have yet to buy a Caddy but has started to save my pennies! Roughtly knew what I'd like but might be changing that now looking at all this infomration here! I'm after a caddy I can convert to a camper/weekend van, something at can still put bikes in or the canoe on the roof but also turn in to a camper for nights away hiking and the like. I'm pretty set that its gotta have Air Con and Cruise Control but the rest looks like it can all be add at a later date.

Is there anything youd say you couldnt live without/I should make sure its fitted before I buy? Looking for a 2010-15 Caddy...

Thanks
2016 Caddy Maxi Highline, all standard for now...
the swan fiend
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Re: Hello and Caddy Buying Advise

Post by the swan fiend »

Hi mate. If you’re planning on doing a lot of electrical related mods, ie Multifunction steering wheel etc. I’d say go for the highest spec you can get, like a highline. There is less chance of your steering wheel control module and cluster etc needing upgrading to suit then -making these mods easier and cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rescue me from the swans in me
SnoWhite
Twin Turbo poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Post by SnoWhite »

Hi and welcome to the forum.

To be honest the big thing to consider carefully is whether to go with a SWB Caddy or the Maxi model.

That is really a decision based on practicality - if you need to carry more than two people then look at the Caddy Life models. If its just load which matters then consider what is the largest stuff you intend hauling.

As the internal size of current models remains basically the same since the 2k shape was launched , why not go down to a VW dealership with a tape measure and see what works best for you. If you plan on having several bikes and a mattress inside, then the extra length of the Maxi is well worth considering. The extra length is all extra load space, hence they are very versatile, yet the additional running cost is minimal, and they still fit most parking spaces.

If you need cruise and air con, then you can probably ignore the basic (startline) models. Whilst you could be lucky to find one which has had those options, most will not. Look for the Trendline and Highline range models, or indeed limited edition models as many will also have those goodies installed as factory fitted options.

Yes it can be done but retro-fitting air-con to a Caddy would be a real challenge and far from cheap. Adding cruise is a bit less of a challenge.

So try not to rush your decision, if you look around there are now loads of used Caddy's out there and doubtless one with the options you want.

If funds are tight then do not dismiss used vehicles from the likes of British Gas. Many people on here have been very happy with their cast offs. Just make sure to replace the cambelt/water pump/pulleys - as soon as you buy it. It seems they tend to sell off their Caddy's just before that job comes due and of course a broken cambelt will wreck the engine.

Heaps of British Gas Caddys come up for auction regularly so hit Google. Most are maxi models, but make sure you inspect them in person as some have clearly had a very hard life compared with others.

If you can afford the extra cost, consider the 2.0tdi models which, on the same duty, will be far less stressed than the 1.6tdis There are a few petrol Caddy's around which may be a better choice if you make regular visits to emission zones, although the latest Mk4 (Euro 6 tdi) seems to have been accepted in most controlled areas.

Have fun shopping - let us know what you went with.

SnoWhite

olig
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by olig »

Retrofitting stuff is the expensive, so get highest spec you can. A maxi Life would be easier to own, more likely to have decent spec and some are registered as cars too which makes them cheaper all round to own. If you need a van the seats come out.
AugustRush
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by AugustRush »

Thank you for the replies, I'm off to go look at two vans on Friday...

I have decided to go for a Maxi Highline, July 2016 so the Mk4 with the 2.0L engine. Both vans have 75K on the clock, is there anything i should be looking out for? They have a fully service history, 4 services but no cam belt change, when is that due?

I'll be wanting to fit other parts as and when I can afford them but reading through the posts, there’s some good instructions/guidance to help.

The first thing will be Apple Car Play via a RCD330 Plus head unit, my understanding is it just drops in..?
Then Polo GTI seats, and I believe they just drop in too?
Roof rails and Tow Bar, tho I might pay for a company to fit the tow bar and electrics...
Glass in the sliding door, not looking forward to cutting those holes :-(
Caddy Life Wing Mirrors, bolt on and bolt off?
Xenon Head light upgrade, I will certainly need help with this... It requires coding, does anyone code in Hampshire?
Maybe a MFSW at some point too, but would guess that needs coding too..

Thanks again for all the help and any more things to look out for would be greatly received :-)
SnoWhite
Twin Turbo poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Post by SnoWhite »

If you are about to get your chequebook out I assume you have done your research.

But I thought I should alert you to one thing which catches some people out - in the UK the van versions (both SWB and Maxi) are classed as goods vehicles under 7.5 tonnes and as a result they have lower maximum permitted speed limits on single and dual carriageway roads.

https://www.gov.uk/speed-limits

If however you buy a Caddy life (either SWB or maxi - passenger carrying variants) then it is classed as a van derived car and normal car speed limits apply.

The latest speed cameras use ANPR data to determine which speed limit applies and as a result a Maxi van may get a speeding ticket whilst a Maxi Life travelling past at the same speed might not.

Enjoy your shopping.

SnoWhite
AugustRush
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by AugustRush »

Thank you SnoWhite,

Yes that caught my dad out when he was given a transit as a works car... Everyone in the house learnt that day about van speed limits :-(

I'm not too worried by the lower speed limits, and I guess, albeit hard work, I could get it reclassified as a Motor Caravan in time...