Gearbox replacement / repair

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Mpenny
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Gearbox replacement / repair

Post by Mpenny »

Hi!

I have a 1.6 2011 caddy. Recently, it has decided to start popping out of 1st gear now and then when pulling off. I have done some digging around and it seems the synchro might be gone? I see people talking about this kind of stuff and know all the codes etc but I don't have a clue tbh!

I have 2 options: either repair what I have or replace with refurbished / used unit and I'm trying to gain advice and opinions. I don't mind converting to 6 speed (it's currently 5 speed manual)

Thanks!

Matt - south Wales
NZDubNurd
Hyper Poster

Re: Gearbox replacement / repair

Post by NZDubNurd »

Check the shift bushes at the trans end and adjust the lever first, to make sure it's going all the way in. Uncle Google should get you an adjustment procedure, which usually involves a pin in the lever base - which you can use the blunt end on an appropriate sized drill bit for.
Mpenny
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Re: Gearbox replacement / repair

Post by Mpenny »

NZDubNurd wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 5:55 pm Check the shift bushes at the trans end and adjust the lever first, to make sure it's going all the way in. Uncle Google should get you an adjustment procedure, which usually involves a pin in the lever base - which you can use the blunt end on an appropriate sized drill bit for.
Thank you. I have actually already done this. It was relatively easy. I've also replaced the gearbox oil.