Golf Mk8 Fog Lights Wiring

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Darkblade
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Golf Mk8 Fog Lights Wiring

Post by Darkblade »

Hi,
I've had a set of the golf Mk8 fog lights fitted and the LH fog has stopped working, it seems to be a wiring issue. I can't find a replacement loom/wiring solution on line as a direct replacement so a few queries options/ideas:

1) Does anyone know where I could get said loom/wiring/harness for the fog lights?
2) Does anybody know/recommend am Auto Electrician that understands what this work would entail, I'm not looking for the cheapest option - the best option?

Slightly older picture of the van, I've since moved the number plate lower and colour coded wing mirrors.
Attachments
323534222_855055068937437_7795185264040315350_n.jpg
Silver 2012 Caddy, 1.6 TDI (102) => remapped to 150bhp, Koni Shock Absorbers, Golf R Mark VII seats, 18" Compomotive Motorsport wheels, Hybrid Bumpers, 6-speed, upgraded audio
gazza31112
Hyper Poster

Re: Golf Mk8 Fog Lights Wiring

Post by gazza31112 »

I had this exact thing with mine, even the same side!.
I first thought it was a wiring issue as I also had some blackening of the wire, I was told to cut out the oxidised section of wire and try that .. to no avail.

Have you tried to bypass the loom and test the foglight? That should single out either the loom or the actual unit being at fault.
My loom was quite pants, tiny wires with what looked like very cheap connectors and plugs.

I ended up cutting open the fog light casing to try and trace the wire back and found a (controller), not sure if that's the right name for it!!, which was connected to each individual LED, this was the fault on mine, I couldn't get the LEDs to light up with power going through this controller but when I briefly tried to power up a single LED unplugged from that control unit thingy, it lit up but instantly got massively hot, this was then the extent of my knowledge so had to admit defeat!

I was half and half on buying a new fog light but while one was already open I went down the diy switchback route and done away with the controller and replaced the LEDs with simpler idiot proof ones
It was very annoying though because the original LEDs were much brighter and a nicer colour, the new ones have a slight bluey colour that doesn't match the drl led colour, I will get round to changing them again one day

Sent from my moto g31(w) using Tapatalk

Darkblade
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by Darkblade »

gazza31112 wrote:I had this exact thing with mine, even the same side!.
I first thought it was a wiring issue as I also had some blackening of the wire, I was told to cut out the oxidised section of wire and try that .. to no avail.

Have you tried to bypass the loom and test the foglight? That should single out either the loom or the actual unit being at fault.
My loom was quite pants, tiny wires with what looked like very cheap connectors and plugs.

I ended up cutting open the fog light casing to try and trace the wire back and found a (controller), not sure if that's the right name for it!!, which was connected to each individual LED, this was the fault on mine, I couldn't get the LEDs to light up with power going through this controller but when I briefly tried to power up a single LED unplugged from that control unit thingy, it lit up but instantly got massively hot, this was then the extent of my knowledge so had to admit defeat!

I was half and half on buying a new fog light but while one was already open I went down the diy switchback route and done away with the controller and replaced the LEDs with simpler idiot proof ones Image
It was very annoying though because the original LEDs were much brighter and a nicer colour, the new ones have a slight bluey colour that doesn't match the drl led colour, I will get round to changing them again one day

Thanks for the feedback and your experience, its with a garage next week so I'll ask them check to see if it's the wiring or lights, I've bought a replacement fog light, so if it's that it'll be fine, but as you say the wiring is corroded but I would have liked to have found the actual loom/wiring solution for it, but unfortunately no one seems to have anything.

I did wonder if I could of found a wiring diagram and got someone to make a loom for it.

If I find a solution I'll post it here.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Silver 2012 Caddy, 1.6 TDI (102) => remapped to 150bhp, Koni Shock Absorbers, Golf R Mark VII seats, 18" Compomotive Motorsport wheels, Hybrid Bumpers, 6-speed, upgraded audio
gazza31112
Hyper Poster

Post by gazza31112 »

No problem mate, keep us posted, it was quite a simple loom so tommyzooom or Stan the man could probably easily make a new one if that was the issue.
I wanted mine on all the time basically acting as DRLs instead of foglights so I had mine wired differently from the get go

Should put another pic up of the number plate on the grill, looks so much better doesn't it!
The bumper really suits the MK3 aftermarket headlights.

Making me want to get another pair of foglights and try it again, I miss the brightness and whiter colour of them!

Gmancan1
200BHP+

Post by Gmancan1 »

Gogs_101
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (83bhp)

Post by Gogs_101 »

Haynes (the Haynes Manual guys) now publish an online resource called 'Autofix' or something, has heaps of technical drawings and wiring diagrams in it. They definitely do a version for this gen Caddy. Access cost about £30 but might save you hours and prove money well spent in the future

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk