Autolights Question

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Rev
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Autolights Question

Post by Rev »

I see this autolight switch...does it turn the lights off with ignition without the annoying beeping? :D

Extremely lazy I know.

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

foolhardyViper
Caddy2k Groupie

Re: Autolights Question

Post by foolhardyViper »

I have an autolight switch on my 2016, and havent even thought about it.... but lights come on when dark when I unlock the van (briefly) and the are on when driving and switch off when key removed... no alert or beeping!
kobat79
Caddy Fan

Post by kobat79 »

If it's the light switch with the 'auto' setting you're referring to then that's for use in combination with a light sensor on the windscreen behind the mirror, for turning on and off the lights depending on daylight levels or the headlights off when it senses the light from traffic ahead.

But afaik, it's not for simply turning the lights off when the ignition is turned off.

If I recall correctly, there's a how-to on fitting the auto lights system.

Sent from my SM-A546B using Tapatalk

PJD
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Post by PJD »

There's an easy aftermarket solution that looks OEM and replaces the existing light switch.
Really simple idea the auto settings is a light activated switch with a light sensor that you tuck near the A pillar. No need to paint the windscreen etc. Doesn't require coding. Just swap the switch out. About £40. Often marketed for the Transporter. You will need to check the pin out for your existing switch. A quick search should find one.
Rev
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Rev »

Okay I maybe wasn't clear, the switch I fully understand.

I'm just asking if when I turn the key off do the lights turn off or do they just stay on constantly and beep at me like before.

Hoping someone who's done the switch can chip in. I might look into some retrofit.

Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Post by Doc »

The original Auto lights will turn off with the ignition.
I can't comment on the aftermarket Auto switch as I have no experience with them.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
Fat Eric
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Post by Fat Eric »

With the aftermarket switch there is around a 10 second delay that the lights stay on once you remove the key from the ignition.
There is beeping and it says switch lights off on instrument cluster, no biggie though 🙂
Javito
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (75bhp)

Post by Javito »

Rev wrote:Okay I maybe wasn't clear, the switch I fully understand.

I'm just asking if when I turn the key off do the lights turn off or do they just stay on constantly and beep at me like before.

Hoping someone who's done the switch can chip in. I might look into some retrofit.

If your BCM supports it, it's a pretty simple upgrade. You need to glue the support for the rain and light sensor to the windscreen. The sensor has 3 wires. Ground, 12v and a signal that goes to the bcm.
Once enabled (via VCDS or similar) it will give you automatic wipers/rain detection (you can enable auto close windows when rain is detected) and auto lights. During the day they'll turn on into daytime running lights, when it goes dark (or you drive through a tunnel) they'll switch to low beams and they'll turn off with ignition off. You can also configure leaving home and coming home which will turn on your light when you unlock the car in the dark and will leave them on for a few seconds when you remove the key from the ignition and open the door to get out of the car.
In my opinion it's well worth it. The sensor is pretty cheap, the install is quite simple and you get some nice features.

Sent from my MI 8 using Tapatalk

Rev
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Rev »

No need for autolights, just this one for me solved my question.

!SOLVED!Image

DW2207
Hyper Poster

Post by DW2207 »

@FishermansFriend, has documented this on his build thread.
Complete oem install including part numbers, coding.
This is the route I'm going to go using his how to.

Sent from my SM-S921B using Tapatalk