VW cambelt intervals changed!?

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
3rdLeg
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

VW cambelt intervals changed!?

Post by 3rdLeg »

I see VW UK has removed their 5yr interval on all cars.

Apparently the European market has had much longer intervals than us for a while and we have just recently done the same.

Some engines are now fit for life (or 15yrs/180k) and others 140k.

This been discussed? Any thoughts?
PeterAFox
200BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Re: VW cambelt intervals changed!?

Post by PeterAFox »

yes, there has been considerable discussion about this :D (BTW: we don't have longer intervals than the UK - only with newer cars because the tensioner seems to have less stress on)
To summarize what I've read:
mostly it's the tensioner and water pump that doesn't last the interval, not the belts. And when the tensioner/water is being changed, then might as well change the belt. A faulty tensioner then shreds the belt pretty quickly.
Personally I stick to the original intervals as I don't want the hassle of a blown engine, but I'm sure VW would be happy if I buy a new car
3rdLeg
100BHP+

Post by 3rdLeg »

Thanks Peter, I did do a quick search but didn’t see anything about it on here.

I understand your point about tensioners/pumps going first, had it happen myself on a 1.8T.

Like you say, sticking with 5yr intervals seems more logical and some peace of mind.
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Post by 300396 »

On all the engines I’ve had with a belt I’ve never gone to the recommended service interval probably done them at half to 3/4 of the time or mileage along with water pump seen to many at work going early .
PeterAFox
200BHP+

Post by PeterAFox »

3rdLeg wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 8:36 am sticking with 5yr intervals seems more logical and some peace of mind.
I'm lucky to make 3 years before it needs replacing.... There's a lot of space in Germany, mostly filled with roads, and bad drivers (although they are getting better)
3rdLeg
100BHP+

Post by 3rdLeg »

@300396 @Peter

Interesting. Numerous people are thinking the opposite and that we’ve been paying out for unnecessary changes.

Back in the day when fuel was cheaper and I had more energy/social life I could easily clock up 20k a year pottering about in and around the M25.

Now I’m in my 40s and tired I’m down to about 8-10k so will change every 4/5yrs
SueS
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by SueS »

So I’m thinking of buying a caddy life with 28,000 on the clock 2 litre DSG it’s a 2019 plate . So in normal circumstances it would need its cambelt changed and water pump at the same time . I have mentioned this to the garage selling the van . Should I push them to do the cambelt before I buy it ? It’s been sat in a showroom for 6 months , not being used .

I have a caddy van 2018 and it had its cambelt change in 2022 as part of it service schedule even though it only had 22,000 miles on it .
I don’t what is the best to do about the caddy life ?
Your thoughts please
t66pfr
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (75bhp)

Post by t66pfr »

SueS wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 9:02 pm So I’m thinking of buying a caddy life with 28,000 on the clock 2 litre DSG it’s a 2019 plate . So in normal circumstances it would need its cambelt changed and water pump at the same time . I have mentioned this to the garage selling the van . Should I push them to do the cambelt before I buy it ? It’s been sat in a showroom for 6 months , not being used .

I have a caddy van 2018 and it had its cambelt change in 2022 as part of it service schedule even though it only had 22,000 miles on it .
I don’t what is the best to do about the caddy life ?
Your thoughts please
To be honest,I'd push them to do the cambelt and give you proof......but if you really like the van drive it away and pay...what £300 for peace of mind.
MartinRS2K
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Post by MartinRS2K »

My Transporter has the same issue that they say it doesnt’t need done as often but they won’t put it in writing so if it fails you are in trouble :cry:

For me get it done regularly for the small cost compared to the expensive engine rebuild/replacement.
Current Vehicles

2022 Volkswagen Transporter T6.1 LWB 204 DSG (Converted Campervan) - Ravenna Blue
2018 Audi R8 V10 Plus - Ara Blue Metallic
2017 Porsche Cayenne Diesel S Platinum Edition - Basalt Black

2019 Volkswagen Caddy C20 Highline 2.0TDi 150BHP DSG - Pure Grey
PeterAFox
200BHP+

Post by PeterAFox »

I don't have the maintenance schedule for newer caddys, but 22 k miles seems a bit little to do a timing belt change.
If I was selling it, I would think you rather odd for requesting it. The newest I know is for 2016 and it says every 120 k km for dusty regions and 210 k km otherwise. A lot of damage / costs are caused by mechanics - I can understand replacing things early but why take it too far? Do you replace your tires every year?

Naturally it's cheaper to do a TB change yourself - as we are a "VW family" I started this game and buying tools simply to change TBs (the first VW we had was every 80 k km)... and one thing led to another.

Living in Germany and working on our VAG vehicles has made me conclude that VW is geared up to different market sectors:
- people who are in good jobs and need their car to be very reliable. These people often buy new cars between 18 - 36 months and the service is covered by the guarantee. TB changes are not an issue.
- people who are in good jobs and need their car to be very reliable but would rather not spend more than they have to for this, but they service the vehicle before parts fail
- (what I call the SAs) - people who change parts when they fail and think a car should run perfectly if you change the oil and tires regularly
- people whose cars are not so critical or are skint, but accept a risk of serious failure.
- people who do the maintenance and major repairs themselves, out of love of madness, however old the car is - they pay for their cars with their time / work.

One just has to decide what you want from a car / which group you are in, and pay the price accordingly.

Generally, VW consider the life of a car to be about 8 years or about 200 k km so low (normal?) mileage drivers shouldn't need to worry about the TB with newer vehicles (from ~ 2015).
Two things impress me about VW, one is how they drive - great. The other is their parts service. I can order any part from a dealer and it's there the next morning, and I live in a remote area. This has not failed me yet, even with vehicles up to 20 years old.
3wheeler7
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by 3wheeler7 »

Hi, I have a 2019 Caddy Maxi Life 2.0Tdi (102) with 35k on the clock and due a service, was wondering if a cambelt replacement was on the cards.
Been told about WWs change of stance on the 4/5 year change interval so I asked at the local indy and he told me Autodata now states 140k for my vehicle.
I thought this a bit ambitious so emailed VW Commercials giving them my VIN number.

Got a reply today:-
"You are correct that we have updated our guidance regarding cambelt replacement intervals. We no longer adhere strictly to the 4/5 year recommendation and have shifted to a mileage-based guideline for this maintenance task.
After checking our internal system specifically for your vehicle model, with the chassis number WV2ZZZ2KZKX091110, I can confirm that your vehicle is due for a cambelt change after 140000 miles."

I shan't be leaving it that long though............
Last edited by 3wheeler7 on Sat May 11, 2024 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
mac12
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by mac12 »

Do you know the relevant OEM for a 2012 Maxi (CAY) 1.6 TDI diesel, by the way? Cambelt, water pump etc.
Last edited by mac12 on Fri May 10, 2024 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nicklouse
Twin Turbo poster

Post by Nicklouse »

Most of the time the cam belt fail as nothing to do with the belt but the other bits.
Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Post by Doc »

On the latest TDI engines, you can almost be sure the water pump will leak, seize open/shut and cause cooling problems, long before the belt is up to 140,000 miles.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
mac12
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by mac12 »

Doc wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 11:13 pm On the latest TDI engines, you can almost be sure the water pump will leak, seize open/shut and cause cooling problems, long before the belt is up to 140,000 miles.
I'm thinking of having mine changed, as I've had a minor coolant leak the past 5 months. Mechanic noted a coolant leak behind the alternator, and suspected the thermostat housing, but as far as I know, the water pump is also close to this area, so that might be it as well? Currently at 140k km.

I'd like to order a timing belt and pump kit, but I'm not completely certain about the OEM #'s. It's a 2012 Maxi 2KN, CAY-engine code.
Know a place I could have it verified?