Under floor insulation/sound deadening

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
chrismarklacey
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (79bhp)

Under floor insulation/sound deadening

Post by chrismarklacey »

So going through the process of insulating and sound deadening the rear of the van.
Im using 30mm high density rockwall behind the panels but hwats best for under the floor ply?

Ive seen people using dynamat, underlay, even bubble wrap. I know dynamat is good stuff but its pretty expensive, is there something else which is as good but for less pennies? or is it worth the extra dosh?

Cheers
Chris :D
torque777
Hyper Poster

Re: Under floor insulation/sound deadening

Post by torque777 »

Following this as I need something like dynamat but can't afford it
Narked@50
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.8 20V Turbo

Post by Narked@50 »

Try this company Paul's a very knowledgeable and nice bloke I'm going to get some foam and stuff Saturday, did my t5 with it, well impressed.
http://www.classicacoustics.co.uk/cab-i ... e-barrier/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
torque777
Hyper Poster

Post by torque777 »

Lol classic acoustics is 10 mins from my house!
CaddyD
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.8 20V Turbo

Post by CaddyD »

Hi there I used a company called mega truck matts and they have a 10mm Dacron soundproofing and insulation and it's very cheap and brilliant !
woodywoodpecker1975
100BHP+

Post by woodywoodpecker1975 »

Hi

I've been doing a load of research on this and so far I think the following is where Im going with ebay:

Stage 1) Treat the metalwork with Silent Coat 2mm Mat to reduce panel resonance and body boom.
Use on all metal panels up to 50% coverage for most cost effective results, or 100% for a fully comprehensive job. This product can be used on any metal panel in your vehicle, with the most common areas to treat being the floors, doors, sides, wheel arches, roof and bulkhead.

Item number; 151155678947.

Stage 2) Use this product straight over the 2mm you have just applied. This tackles airbourne noise that is not directly affected by the metalwork, and also insulates the vehicle helping regulate the temperature throughout the seasons.

Use Dodo Thermo Acoustic Van Liner, this is a special formulation closed cell foam with excellent thermal and acoustic properties ideal to reduce noise, insulate the vehicle and to isolate barriers and trim panels.

Item Number; 151674689783.

They also do a kit for small van saving a tenner, all in for £139.99 including postage - im skint as well, but i think thats pretty good considering other brands, silent coat seems to have good reviews.
DHD
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Post by DHD »

When I bought my van, it had the usual plywood lining to the floor, sides & wheel arch boxes, which was a bit rough, so after a few days, I took it out for a refit with new wood.

I used the van for a few days with the RH side panel and both wheelarch boxes removed - a big difference in noise levels.

I then covered the metal of the wheel arches and side panels in the rear with Alumat. I didn't bother doing the floor, as it's all covered with underseal below, so doesn't give much drumming or resonance. I bought a roll of the B&Q recycled plastic loft insulation, cut it to size, stuffed this in bin-liners, taped them up, then taped the bagged insulation to the metal side panels, behind the plywood. I then laid a new plywood floor and glued down vinyl 'coinmat' flooring.

I temporarily refitted the original side plywood, but haven't yet refitted the plywood wheelarch boxes. The van is noticeably quieter than it was originally and loads quieter than with just one side panel and floor ply. Cladding the wheelarches with Alumat seems to have made a significant difference. I expect the noise will reduce even further when the plywood wheelarch boxes go back in the side plywood gets lined with carpet. Will report back when done.
torque777
Hyper Poster

Post by torque777 »

I'm thinking of trying flash banding...
Davebass
200BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (84bhp)

Post by Davebass »

i used wickes own brand flash band all over and it made a huge difference loads quieter,
and if you heat it up can mould it into grooves ect.
torque777
Hyper Poster

Post by torque777 »

That's good enough for me then
I.D.S.
Hyper Poster

Post by I.D.S. »

Being in the trade I bought some Flashband Nick. Then got then invoice and found buying the proper stuff was better value for money

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
tovtm
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.0 TSI (100bhp)

Post by tovtm »

Isn't flashband super cheap 150mm x 10m £11 not sure how much you need though any ideas?

I've seen flash band being mentioned plenty of times but anyone advise against it if so why?

People then use the silver bubble wrap loft insulation on top of flashband followed by the recycled loft insulation on that followed by your ply lining.
Last edited by dan@biali on Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed unnecessary quote
I.D.S.
Hyper Poster

Post by I.D.S. »

I've used 9" wide but it doesn't go far. Not sure you need both lots of insulation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
harry123
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.0 TSI (100bhp)

Post by harry123 »

This is very useful information.
Mickthebell
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Post by Mickthebell »

I've just bought mine from rugs for bugs you get a 10% discount on your first purchase if you register first. I got a box of 2mm silent coat and 10m 7mm dodo thermal liner for £166 Planning on silent coat on the wheel arches/single skin panels with a single layer of the thermal liner on the floor before I ply and then double layers on the walls with any left over before I ply/carpet over the top. There's loads of YouTube videos with information/how to fit etc.
I read somewhere that the silver bubble wrap is ok for thermal insulation but as it has no mass it's useless for sound proofing.