Maxi life aux battery

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Markp
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Maxi life aux battery

Post by Markp »

Hi all, got myself a maxi life and love it ,has anyone put in a 2nd aux battery and if so where have you put it . Thanks
torque777
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (79bhp)

Re: Maxi life aux battery

Post by torque777 »

Most put them in rear behind front seat but obviously in a maxi life there isn't a hiding place, so not sure where I would put one

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk
Markp
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by Markp »

Yes ,struggling to find somewhere myself. May have to change plans and try something else. Cheers though
SnoWhite
Twin Turbo poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Post by SnoWhite »

Without intruding into the passenger spaces you will be struggle to find a good location for a typical car type battery - simply because a standard car battery is too wide to locate behind the rear load area paneling.

On my LHD Maxi I did find some useful extra storage space lurking behind the right rear panel. Typically the right hand access panel is just large enough to hold the emergency breakdown gear pouch. However on my trendline spec model there was obviously a lot of other space simply blocked off by a foam plastic moulding (installed to keep down noise as the space is open on van models). Suffice to say with a bit of dismantling and brute force, I managed to remove the foam block. Then if you relocate the emergency tools - and were willing to modify (or simply remove) the pouch retaining bracket there might be just enough space to install a relatively long, tall and narrow 12v battery.

Obviously you would need to measure up carefully, and find a robust way to securely anchor the battery. You will probably need to consider non conventional car battery types to find any versions which are sufficiently narrow to fit in that space. You would also need to work out precisely how to route whatever cabling is needed and make sure your install is electrically insulated so it cannot accidentally short out against the bodywork. To fit in such a narrow space, the best option may well be the sort of tall and narrow 12volt batteries typically used to power mobility scooters as they come in quite high storage capacities unlike the sort of narrow batteries used by most motorbikes and UPS systems.

Good luck

SnoWhite
qert6
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (79bhp)

Post by qert6 »

I was concidering this on my kombi but didt want the battery inside. I was thining about mounting the battery underneath next to the spare wheel. I found some battery boxes for boats that could house it to keep the crud and spray out. I cant say that I got around to doing thought, it was just another idea that didnt happen...
White Maxi TDI 104
Rear seats and many ideas brewing
shanky887614
Hyper Poster

Re: RE: Re: Maxi life aux battery

Post by shanky887614 »

you could always fit a gel type battery inside which would be safer

Maxi4life
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (84bhp)

Post by Maxi4life »

What about under the dashboard cubby hole?