Steering loose feeling, knock

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
TDean122
Twin Turbo poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Steering loose feeling, knock

Post by TDean122 »

Hi, my van is a 2011 caddy maxi lowered and recently I've felt like its a bit loose on the steering when at a constant speed driving normally. When stationary with engine running there's a slight slackness feel in the steering when quickly steering from left to right and a slight nock as if the pinion had a little gap before engaging the rack . I've had it jacked up and checked for play but it's all tight, tyres are all good and correct pressure, tracking has been done as well and when I turn the wheel ever so slightly the wheels turn so I'm assuming there's no play in the steering

The van always felt solid on the road but recently I've felt at around 50-60 on straight roads it's like it sways about. I've had it lowered for a while and it's not just started since then. I'm not sure what it could be or if it's just dodgy roads but the handling around town and fast corners seems perfect yet anyone any ideas ?

Thanks
deutsch
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (74bhp)

Re: Steering loose feeling, knock

Post by deutsch »

the electronic racks are quite common to fail on mk5 and mk6 golf these are very similar to the caddy ones. its virtually impossible to feel any play in the rack, but you tend to hear clunks like a bad drop link when going over pot holes and bumps. if you start the van and grab your steering wheel and quickly turn it left and right only about a few inch you should be able to hear the clunk noise if your rack is dying.
VCDS (VagCom)
VAS / ODIS VW Audi Seat Skoda (Dealer Level / Online Access / Component Protection / Keys / Coding)
VagCAN PRO
AVDI
TDean122
Twin Turbo poster

Post by TDean122 »

deutsch wrote:the electronic racks are quite common to fail on mk5 and mk6 golf these are very similar to the caddy ones. its virtually impossible to feel any play in the rack, but you tend to hear clunks like a bad drop link when going over pot holes and bumps. if you start the van and grab your steering wheel and quickly turn it left and right only about a few inch you should be able to hear the clunk noise if your rack is dying.
Hopefully not the rack, do you know how bad they are to change ? Should be half the battle since there's no fluid pipes but then i bet it would need programming
deutsch
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (74bhp)

Post by deutsch »

there not too bad to change when on a 2 post ramp, i'd guess a little harder if you don't have access to a ramp, no coding required just steering adaption. a little advise if you ever change the rack, make sure wheels are pointing straight ahead and then take keys out to lock in position, then before fitting the new rack make sure the rack is set in the same position. this will make sure you don't fit the rack 360 degrees out, a lot of people have done this before and wondered why they can't calibrate the steering.
VCDS (VagCom)
VAS / ODIS VW Audi Seat Skoda (Dealer Level / Online Access / Component Protection / Keys / Coding)
VagCAN PRO
AVDI
TDean122
Twin Turbo poster

Post by TDean122 »

deutsch wrote:there not too bad to change when on a 2 post ramp, i'd guess a little harder if you don't have access to a ramp, no coding required just steering adaption. a little advise if you ever change the rack, make sure wheels are pointing straight ahead and then take keys out to lock in position, then before fitting the new rack make sure the rack is set in the same position. this will make sure you don't fit the rack 360 degrees out, a lot of people have done this before and wondered why they can't calibrate the steering.
Thanks for that seems straight forward if I do need to do it. Probably be on axle stands tho since I cant work on my van at work unfortunately