Which Deadening, insulation, carpet etc?

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Ell.s

Post by Ell.s »

Now I have done many searches and read many posts but drawn a blank on what is the norm/best option for all the sound deadening/insulation and carpet to use when lining the rear of a caddy. Also which order and how would be very handy. I will be undertaking this soon and will make a How To if it may benefit others.
Ell.s

Re: Which Deadening, insulation, carpet etc?

Post by Ell.s »

From what I can gather, for deadening people mainly use either flash band/ silent coat on the single skinned areas (e.g side panels, roof and floor. And then laminate floor silver insulation everywhere else followed by carpet would this be correct?

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk

KEV73Y
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by KEV73Y »

HI
I am a new member but I have already completed several mods/jobs on my Caddy. I used Silent coat with Dodo mat/insulator over the top and then carpeted. Very happy with the results but I have done the whole van 😁 if I can work out how to add pictures I will
Caddyluv
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Post by Caddyluv »

Yes mate I done silent coat all over the floor. Wheel arch and bits of the side wall. ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ell.s

Post by Ell.s »

KEV73Y wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:10 pm HI
I am a new member but I have already completed several mods/jobs on my Caddy. I used Silent coat with Dodo mat/insulator over the top and then carpeted. Very happy with the results but I have done the whole van 😁 if I can work out how to add pictures I will
The easiest way to add pics is to use the Tapatalk forum app mate, thanks for your reply I'll look into dodo mat.
Caddyluv wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:14 pm Yes mate I done silent coat all over the floor. Wheel arch and bits of the side wall. ImageImage

Thanks for the reply Caddyluv. Really helpful. Does the carpet still stick to the silent coat ok? And did you use any other heat insulation or foil etc?
Last edited by Ell.s on Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bakester69
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 SDI (70bhp)

Post by Bakester69 »

Is there a place that this can be bought as a kit or is it best to source the insulation, carpet etc separately?
Caddyluv
Hyper Poster

Post by Caddyluv »

Separate I think. But to be honest I haven’t looked for a kit. I stuck my carpet to the ply lining. Image

KEV73Y
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by KEV73Y »

Thanks for the info regarding photo uploads hopefully i have done it correct.
As pics i put silant coat over the arches side pannels and roof then covered it with dodo thermal matting. The pictures dont show but i also covered the floors doors and the whole roof including the front which is much better when its raining hard. Another area that helps to quiet the van down is the void behind the seats were the footwells would be on a touran. I then recut the plyboards including the roof to make it a tight fit and carpeted the lot. You can glue the carpet onto the silent coat and the silver backed thermo mat but if you glue it straight onto some closecell foam it will probably rip if you need to pull the carpet back to readjust when fitting. I used the sound deadening shop for silent coat and dodo they are very helpful and mega van mats for the carpet but that was my choice other companies are on the net.
Overall my van sounds more solid like a golf the pannels dont give a tinging sound anymore and its much cooler when its been parked in the sun all day I am personaly very happy with the outcomeImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Ell.s

Post by Ell.s »

Those both look great! gives me something to work to. Thanks a lot for the in depth info and pics will help a lot!

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk

Dan4da
100BHP+

Post by Dan4da »

KEV73Y wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:51 am Thanks for the info regarding photo uploads hopefully i have done it correct.
As pics i put silant coat over the arches side pannels and roof then covered it with dodo thermal matting. The pictures dont show but i also covered the floors doors and the whole roof including the front which is much better when its raining hard. Another area that helps to quiet the van down is the void behind the seats were the footwells would be on a touran. I then recut the plyboards including the roof to make it a tight fit and carpeted the lot. You can glue the carpet onto the silent coat and the silver backed thermo mat but if you glue it straight onto some closecell foam it will probably rip if you need to pull the carpet back to readjust when fitting. I used the sound deadening shop for silent coat and dodo they are very helpful and mega van mats for the carpet but that was my choice other companies are on the net.
Overall my van sounds more solid like a golf the pannels dont give a tinging sound anymore and its much cooler when its been parked in the sun all day I am personaly very happy with the outcomeImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
What did you use to fix the ply panels in place?
KEV73Y
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by KEV73Y »

HI
I used the original clips for the roof and door panels as for the side and roof panels I cut new ones out of 4mm ply that were bigger to give a snug fit and give a cleaner finish. Because the panels are bigger and 4mm ply which is a little more flexible I could so be it with a little persuasion get them to sit tightly in place. Then I used a thick heavy duty Velcro so the panel keeps with the shape of the van and help keep it in place. They are going no were and a pig to get out but I Doubt that Velcro would be enough if the panels weren't a tight fit.
Hope this helps
Dan4da
100BHP+

Post by Dan4da »

Yer that does thanks, my old man has a t4 and when he got that ply lined and carpet he had some carpet top clips so you would almost not see the clips against the carpet
KEV73Y
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by KEV73Y »

Glad my post helped.
My mate has just told me his son used biggish magnetic strips in his van (not VW) so he could remove the panels....... Not a bad idea if it works :D
Ell.s

Post by Ell.s »

I was wondering how people held the panels in place as some I have seen do not have screws.
Caddyluv
Hyper Poster

Post by Caddyluv »

Ell.s wrote:I was wondering how people held the panels in place as some I have seen do not have screws.

You can hide the screws. So counter sink your ply. Carpet it. Then cut a tiny hole for the screws to fit glue the top of the screw the screw in, pull back where you have made the slit screw in tight then put the little slit carpet back together. Hidden screws Image