Virtual cockpit in caddy iv

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
EricsCaddy
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (83bhp)

Re: Virtual cockpit in caddy iv

Post by EricsCaddy »

Few other random photos.

Not that we need to see more but standard caddy clocks again but removed to see the shape better…

With the scirocco virtual cockpit version below

I’ll stop posting anymore I promise Image

I think the next stage for me will be to message Doc when I get PM rights, last time I sent him my original clocks for him to code in my original low line clocks into a highline dash, I think If he’s willing to help again I can send him my original clocks, some scirocco clocks (and maybe the virtual cockpit if he wants to fit it, otherwise I can manage that myself working with small electrics and soldering regularly) giving me the security of having my standard dash to fit or keep as a spare if things go wrong and having the scirocco to play with and perfect overtime rather than rushing and potentially wasting around £800 here.
2019 Caddy Highline, Heated screen, parking sensors, cruise, auto lights, virtual cockpit dash, custom blue seatbelts, heated GTE seats, GTE MFSW, climatic, rear camera, discover media nav, oem+ led headlights, GTE tartan doorcards, Audison sound system (project: highest spec highline :twisted: )
Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Post by Doc »

I've not kept up to speed on this thread, aftermarket parts don't really appeal to me in such a front end system. From experience, the look-a-like stereo head units don't perform all that well so I imagine this will be similar. I may well be proven wrong. My point is reinforced by the seller using a photo of a Passat instrument cluster in an advert for a Scirocco cluster. If I were spending that much money on something, I'd like proof that the seller has at least tried it in the vehicle they sell it for.

As for fitting, the circuit board used on a caddy or Scirocco are no different, don't go out spending extra to get a Scirocco instrument cluster when a golf 6 cluster can be had for about a quarter of the price.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
EricsCaddy
100BHP+

Post by EricsCaddy »

I do agree, I’ve just spent a fair bit buying a discover media headunit, probably 4 times the cost of an aftermarket one just to keep everything oem, smooth, function, I like how everything syncs up and talks to each other.

Another example is the pair of genuine oem xenon headlights. Aftermarket / custom / led bulbs into halogen lights just doesn’t cut it.

This is somewhat of a last resort, I’ve been looking into this for a long time and considered it on my 2009 caddy but couldn’t justify the price for what seems like little gain and no real added value. Now I’ve got a new 2019 caddy with more useable features I’m happy to Invest more. I’ve watched quite a few YouTube reviews and unboxing type videos direct from customers (not sellers) and genuinely haven’t found a bad one. It’s just a digital display at the end of the day so hoping it’s smooth and responsive.

Finally, thanks for the knowledge and confirming what I thought then, the mk6 virtual dash is the wrong shape altogether, but if I can get the mk6 dash cheap and it’s the same as the scirocco once stripped down will easily pare with the scirocco virtual dash.
2019 Caddy Highline, Heated screen, parking sensors, cruise, auto lights, virtual cockpit dash, custom blue seatbelts, heated GTE seats, GTE MFSW, climatic, rear camera, discover media nav, oem+ led headlights, GTE tartan doorcards, Audison sound system (project: highest spec highline :twisted: )
fishynos72
200BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Post by fishynos72 »

Ah!

What a response since my comment! Such amazing details from now iconic forum builds. love it

STUPID QUESTION WARNING:

The shape difference between a Mk3 caddy dashboard/ cluster VS Mk4 caddy Dashboard/ cluster.

a Mk3 cluster does not fit the mk4 dash.

Does the Mk4 cluster share more shape wise with the golf/sciroco or less?
How many is too many Volkswagens?
EricsCaddy
100BHP+

Post by EricsCaddy »

Hey, I’m not sure what you mean, the “fitment” may be slightly different since they changed the plugs over the years but the shapes the same and fits into the gap the same. I have a 2016 cluster I think it was in my 2009 van, it just needed an adaptor harness but the overs all design and shape is the same

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by Giddy on Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed unnecessary quote of previous post
EricsCaddy
100BHP+

Post by EricsCaddy »

UPDATE!

Having spoke to quite a few sellers (around 20) of the virtual cockpits the actual version needed for us to work 100% doesn’t exist.

I requested a Scirocco Diesel and none of the 20 sellers have them, only for petrol. they did say and I quote…

“our meter can work with the diesel version of the car, but some of the data will be inaccurate”

“for now we only have for gasoline version, However, some customers also have cars installed with diesel version, which can work after installation, but the fuel consumption will be inaccurate”

So now I’m not sure how I feel about it Image

I also have a set price from 2 different manufacturers of £540 including delivery and fees.
That’s going to be plus around £45 for additional Scirocco/Golf cluster, plus any additional coding costs and postage.
So anyone looking and wanting a cheap upgrade… this isn’t for you 😂

dan@biali
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 Stage 3+ TFSI

Post by dan@biali »

Why would you also need a Scirocco or Golf cluster? My understanding is you take your new virtual cockpit and install your original Caddy circuit board into it.

The boards are the same for quite a few VAG models which is why we think the virtual cockpit will work in the Caddy if it’s for Scirocco or Golf, but the diesel part is the issue.

My cluster was for a diesel scirocco but obviously the manufacturers of these VCs haven’t accounted for the small market of them yet.
EricsCaddy
100BHP+

Post by EricsCaddy »

I suppose the additional cluster and coding isn’t technically required, I’m only considering doing it that way so I have a spare if it ever fails or when trimming it damages the edge of the unit or something like that.

But your right… I’m overcomplicating it slightly, just seems a risk when I’m being told by the people selling it that it won’t work, (although we THINK it will) as well as won’t fit etc etc etc once I’ve pulled my original dash apart it might end up damaged beyond repair and that’s my van off the road broken, for the sake of £45 for a spare and paying somebody ;) to just copy data from one cluster to another seems worth doing.

Last reason, I might hate it and want my original back for whatever reason also 😂
Last edited by dan@biali on Sat May 28, 2022 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed quote of previous post
EricsCaddy
100BHP+

Post by EricsCaddy »

Doc wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 10:08 pm
As for fitting, the circuit board used on a caddy or Scirocco are no different, don't go out spending extra to get a Scirocco instrument cluster when a golf 6 cluster can be had for about a quarter of the price.
Hey, do you think you could drop me a message when you get two minutes? wanting to send you my cluster if your still up to the task :D thanks
EricsCaddy
100BHP+

Post by EricsCaddy »

In the spirit of keeping the thread alive, I’ve bit the bullet and purchased the virtual cockpit today :shock:

They say delivery will be in five business days so fingers crossed before next weekend. Struggling to find a second dash to install it on so looks like I’m going to be stripping down my original caddy cluster to remove the board and install inside the aftermarket scirocco dash.

Fingers crossed :D
Pro-Sat
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (84bhp)

Post by Pro-Sat »

let us kno how it goes been looking myself on ali how much did u pay? hiroci??
EricsCaddy
100BHP+

Post by EricsCaddy »

I’ll be sure to take plenty photos, Videos etc… maybe even a how to guide.

And it was £605, plus some fees when it arrived I’d imagine.
spacewalker
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (103bhp)

Post by spacewalker »

But they do a caddy shape, or scirocco?
EricsCaddy
100BHP+

Post by EricsCaddy »

Only scirocco shape
Last edited by Giddy on Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed unnecessary quote of previous post
EricsCaddy
100BHP+

Post by EricsCaddy »

Well… it’s in and it works!

Last edited by EricsCaddy on Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.