Dog bone inserts on worn bushings.

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Blade
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Post by Blade »

Has anyone tried to use a a powerflex dog bone insert on a knackered lower engine mount bushing?
It looks like such a pig of a job that im trying to find ways out of doing it. If the pu one fills all the holes up and holds it solid it seems like it might not matter if the bushings a bit knackered... Any experience or thoughts?
Lockstock
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Re: Dog bone inserts on worn bushings.

Post by Lockstock »

if its the dog bone mount in the subframe, VW have a special tool to replace it, less than an hours labour if I remember correctly. So I had a main dealer do it rather than mess about with inserts or anything.

If you specifically want the Polybush to make it stiffer, that's different. Someone hopefully can advise who has done it..
Lister79
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Post by Lister79 »

Do it right and replace the worn bush is the only suggestion I’d make. Also using the inserts on diesels causes unbearable vibrations. I installed one in mine when it was a 1.6TDi and it literally lasted a lap round the block before it was removed again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2014 Toffee Brown with EA888 Gen 3 2.0 TSi (CJX) engine (417.5 BHP 545 Nm), Grinds/ABP air suspension and a few other mods :D
Build thread:
http://caddy2k.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=36629
Blade
Caddy Fan

Post by Blade »

Thanks for the replies. I don't like the idea of a lot of extra vibration. I was thinking to get the softest durometer. Which colour one did you go for?
I'll talk to vw and get quote but I imagine they'll sting me for parts to make up for any saving. Is there anywhere you can hire the tool? I've seen them for sale but can't find anywhere that hires them.
Lister79
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Post by Lister79 »

It was the yellow one.
Even if you can’t get the tool they are easily replaced by dropping the subframe. It’s false economy putting an insert in a worn bush, plus I promise you’ll regret it and end up removing and replacing the bush anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2014 Toffee Brown with EA888 Gen 3 2.0 TSi (CJX) engine (417.5 BHP 545 Nm), Grinds/ABP air suspension and a few other mods :D
Build thread:
http://caddy2k.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=36629
Lockstock
Hyper Poster

Post by Lockstock »

I'll have a look for invoice but I think it was something like 120 or 140 total cost of parts and labour. I think the oem bush is two parts top and bottom and both totalled about 60 ish.. Hopefully not totally mis remembering. The actual dogleg is obvs an extra cost but you can change that diy dead easy
Lockstock
Hyper Poster

Post by Lockstock »

fyi was more like 190 parts and labour...
LouisAMS
100BHP+

Post by LouisAMS »

I’ve seen someone use the scissor jack to press the bush in.

It’s in two parts.

Instead of the ground, put the subframe under the scissor jack and start to jack up the van, the van won’t move until the bush has pressed in.

Or take the subframe with the bushings to a garage that has a press.
C Chis
Hyper Poster

Post by C Chis »

I can also confirm polybushing the arm/engine mounts on a petrol engine (VR6) will give vibrations at low engine rpm when manoeuvring, fine the rest of the time.

The way to solve the worn bushing is to replace it with a new one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2010 pre-facelift Mk3 3.2 VR6 : Touran Interior : 3D Premium Clocks : R32 Bumper : Climatic A/C

My VR6 Build Thread and Details can be Found Here
rodmax
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Post by rodmax »

yup
I agree with everyone above I fitted the powerflex insert to the dogbone bush. i did'nt even make it off the drive, the noise was terrible :shock:
I removed it straight away
BenT
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by BenT »

I tried a red Powerflex bushing in my 1.6 TDI due to the mount being shot. Although it improved the gearchange/accelerator action no end, the whole van vibrated like a sewing machine at idle. Fine once up and going though. And VERY noisy! Made my 1990's Octavia TDI feel like a Rolls Royce (well, probably - I've never been in the latter).

I've compromised by removing the front half of the insert and leaving the rear half in. Very tolerable vibration and noise and a nice positive gearchange/accelerator action. Perhaps worth a try if you want a quick and cheap-ish "fix".
Blade
Caddy Fan

Post by Blade »

Thanks for all the reply's👍
I'm definetly not up for the extra rattling.
I spoke to vw to get a quote and they wouldn't give me a quote till I bring it in for inspection! I'd rather do it myself than waste my time hanging around at vw so I decided to buy the instalation tool and new bushes and I'll put the tool on ebay afterwards. Maybe do the bushes on my passat too as a precaution whilst I have the tool😄
Lockstock
Hyper Poster

Post by Lockstock »

yea that's bullshit, its a fixed price replacement part (so I was told by VW). So has a fixed book time for labour, like cambelt or clutch. If you can do yourself, I'd say go for it. I expect you will be able to sell the tool to get most of your money back, for the next person that needs it 👍
Blade
Caddy Fan

Post by Blade »

Yea I think the mechanic was just being awkward on purpose. Maybe he'd had a bad day😄
Hopefully the tool works well, it looks like it should make it super easy.
Blade
Caddy Fan

Post by Blade »

I bought the tool and swapped it for a febi bushing. Easy job with the tool.
Imits for sale now if anyone is interested.