Noise when turning at slow speeds

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Handyandy
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (75bhp)

Re: Noise when turning at slow speeds

Post by Handyandy »

Have you checked the droplinks they can get pretty close to your driveshafts on full lock especially if your van is lowered
Beluga blue caddy remapped to 145ish side window and bonnet deflector lowered and 18" calibre rims on 225/40/18
Johnban3!
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Post by Johnban3! »

No the van has never been customised, barely turning the steering wheel it starts,the harder you turn the worse it gets, the moment u press the clutch even on full lock it’s gone
PeterAFox
200BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Post by PeterAFox »

that would suggest to me that it's somewhere in-between your engine out and wheels - not really that helpful. Sometimes a very experienced mechanic can narrow it down, if you're lucky enough to find one.
If otherwise everything functions, then maybe it's not such a bad idea to wait and see because it seems that it's in one of three places: clutch, gearbox, or the bearings etc. that drive the wheels from gearbox.
If a bearing has gone then normally they don't do much damage until they get quite bad, and then it's more obvious.
If it's the gearbox then one probably refits a new / recon one (which is what most garages do anyway)- otherwise the only thing to do is change the gearbox oil (unless one takes the gearbox apart).
If it's the clutch, then it will become more apparent fairly soon - you might be able to 'rescue' the flywheel by changing the clutch plate and/or release lever sooner, but normally one should replace the flywheel with the clutch plate anyway, so there's no saving there.
My experience of caddys [what is the correct plural of Caddy vehicles - Caddys or Caddies?] is that the reasonable life expectancy of a gearbox is about 200kkm, depending on how it's been used. Caravans / heavy towing shorten the life, clutches go more often, and original bearings and engine mounts are very high quality (and often unnecessarily changed by lower quality ones).
VW have a noise diagnostic system which maybe they offer as a service. It probably costs quite a few bob (they connect microphones around the vehicle, record the sounds and send them to a 'lab' for analysis). Personally, I reckon that would be a waste of money.
Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Post by Doc »

For me, if it's only happening while turning, and while being powered rather than coasting, there must be a gearbox/differential issue.
I can't imagine anything else being an issue but not causing such until the wheel is turned and clutch depressed.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
PeterAFox
200BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Post by PeterAFox »

Yes, exactly. But I can't get it out of my head that the tracking and wheel balancing might cause this, even though it doesn't make much sense, as it disappears when the clutch is disengaged.
And I suppose that the bearings could behave slightly differently when 'driven' by the driveshafts rather than just coasting............... ?
Caddy Kev
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Caddy Kev »

Any update ? As I have just replaced my gearbox and getting the same noise now
CarlPerkins
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Post by CarlPerkins »

Mines a 2019 maxi high line and mines the same 😂
Will fix it when ever what it is breaks 🙄