Giotec daily - Everything you've never seen before.

Show off your caddy
E30matt
Caddy2k Groupie

Re: Secundus.....

Post by E30matt »

Loving the progress on this van
Especially the dash and detailed description of the sound deadening process. 👍
TheGee
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 2.0 Stage 3+ TFSI

Post by TheGee »

Thanks Matt
Instagram @geedubcaddy

New build thread >>HERE<<
TheGee
100BHP+

Post by TheGee »

The visors are done Image

A complete pain in the arse to do & not sure I’d do them again but I’m glad they’re done. I’ve trimmed them in the brown Alcantara I’m using on the doors to hopefully pull the colours together so I’ll see what they look like once the roof & pillars are finished.

Instagram @geedubcaddy

snuffegull
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Post by snuffegull »

Nice!

This color combo could be interesting! brown interiors look amazing when done right
TheGee
100BHP+

Post by TheGee »

Thanks Chris
Instagram @geedubcaddy

TheGee
100BHP+

Secundus.....

Post by TheGee »

When I bought the R8 seats I also got the door cards, not that I particularly wanted them but I figured I’d sell them on. Realising they were from a left hand drive car I decided they’d be promoted to contribution fodder.

Door handle leds and diffusers

A flush led puddle light under the door panel

There’s a door pocket light too but I’ve not finished the door yet so I’ll show that later.
I also took advantage of the not raining weekend to paint everything in matching silver and black rather than the 12 shades of madness I had because of taking different parts from different cars. Image

Some of the black trimmed door pieces will be brown by the morning too to break up the blackness.

Fun times Image
Instagram @geedubcaddy

TheGee
100BHP+

Giotec daily - Everything you've never seen before.

Post by TheGee »

Its a door day afternoon Image This drivers door has been the biggest challenge on the van to date but it’s done and damn gorgeous Image

I wanted the door cards matching but it’s not as simple as throwing on an lhd door card so this is possibly the most expensive caddy door card ever.
So, I made a panel in the pocket for the mirror & cdl switch, and the passenger window. I originally trimmed it in black but the brown took it up another level
to keep the pocket useable for pocket related duties I made a cover panel over the top
a single drivers window switch completes the cleanliness

The door open warning light is a nice little simple feature and the R8 puddle light is crazy bright at night. Night photos coming soon Image

Instagram @geedubcaddy

snuffegull
100BHP+

Re: Giotec daily - Everything you've never seen before.

Post by snuffegull »

this is awesome! great job on those door cards
TheGee
100BHP+

Post by TheGee »

Thanks Chris
Instagram @geedubcaddy

TheGee
100BHP+

Post by TheGee »

One of the main things my van is for is high end audio system. Even though technically only one pair of speakers is actually installed thus far it is all happening behind the scenes as it were. One thing that’s been bugging me is having holes and cables on show while I’m doing listening tests of different tweeters and positioning etc so I threw some very quick A-Pillar builds together just to hide the mess more than anything else.

So, here’s how it happens Image

Make a baffle shape out of 5mm abs and trim to size, mark pillar to dash lines etc then cut the pillar trim to suit making sure the piece can be easily fitted back into the van once built.

With the pillar mounted in the van, glue the abs into position on the pillar with dabs of Gorilla glue gel and zip kicker accelerator. Once everything is aligned, take piece out of the van and bond all contact points of the abs with JB Weld plastic. Once set, slather with body filler to desired shape, laying the filler as smooth as possible to shorten sanding time.

Hit with 80 grit on whatever sander you use for sanding things remembering to curve any sharp edges. I’m trimming with Milano suede so I won’t use more than the 80 grit to shape. The grille is the cut out of the outer piece covered in acoustic grille cloth because the tweeters will be mounted behind.

If you’re using fabric there’s no need to use anything finer than 80 grit, if you’re painting the piece then 80, 200, 600, 3 layers of primer coat with a 1000 rub down between layers, and 3-5 top coat with 2000 between coats and a few 2-3000 wet sand sets on the final top coat.

These took just over 4 hours from start to finish both sides but they’re super ghetto & by no means built to last nor stay, they’re just to hide my test mess Image
Instagram @geedubcaddy

snuffegull
100BHP+

Post by snuffegull »

This is getting interesting with all this custom interior work! I love stuff like this!