Maxi - Not a Show Van

Show off your caddy
Be4ny13
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Re: Maxi - Not a Show Van

Post by Be4ny13 »

GregWalters wrote:Loving all the suede interior! Will definitely be doing that to mine Image
Let me know details on wiring the interior lights to come on with the doors and a manual switch, would be interested in copying also! Image
Lovely van on the inside and out ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you, the suede is great if you can keep it clean! I'll draw out and upload a diagram for how I've wired it up once it's all working. The power is coming from the wiring that was going to the single rear light, so if you've got one you'll be alright to copy my set up although do so at your own risk Image

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Far From Perfect, Perfect From Far
the swan fiend
Hyper Poster

Post by the swan fiend »

I’ve just unashamedly stolen your great idea of having straps to close the barn doors from the inside.
Vans looking great mate. Keep up the good work.

Rescue me from the swans in me
Be4ny13
Caddy Fan

Post by Be4ny13 »

All lights and wiring fitted and working! Dimmer to operate left / right lights with 3 position on/off/on switch to control lights on with door, off, or on permanently.

Wire colours from the van - blue/yellow=timed negative, brown/black=constant negative, red=positive
The 3 position switch is in the negative of the circuit, light negative in the middle, timed / constant negative on the outside. The dimmer has the positive from the van going to it (vin+ on switch) then positive to the left and right lights (led+) leaving it. The dimmer requires a negative to work so have attached to the constant negative of the van through the 3 position switch, this way the dimmer works with the lights on in either timed or constant mode.

I am by no means an electrician so this took a bit of figuring out with basic circuit knowledge from school so hopefully those in a similar position can get this working with the pictures and my rough write up! ImageImageImageImage

Be4ny13
Caddy Fan

Post by Be4ny13 »

And finally suede covered and fitted so time to sit back and stare at it! Unsure whether to suede the speaker box or keep it carpeted but quite liking the divide and join between the sides it gives so will leave for the time beingImageImageImageImage

GregWalters
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Post by GregWalters »

Oo I like that 6x9 pod as well

Be4ny13
Caddy Fan

Post by Be4ny13 »

I've had a clunking that has been getting worse and worse, last week having a crawl underneath found a control arm bush was completely perished, can't be too mad, likely the originals so have done 120,000 miles! So in the interest of ever upgrading I've gone for powerflex bushes on the new arms and will be replacing all other steering joints whilst I'm at it. Just gotta wait for a dry enough weekend to get them fitted ImageImage

Poffe
100BHP+

Post by Poffe »

Be4ny13 wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 12:53 pm Slow day at work so I've been through my camera roll and organised all the caddy photos into a folder so they're easier to find and will upload a few progress photos from over the years. First off it's nice to see the difference from the day I got the van to now, doesn't feel like it's too different but looks otherwise
I love the changes you have made on the car! Just got me a Caddy Maxi Van -2014, looking very similiar to your before pictures, although with in a red colour.
I can only hope that some day mine will look like the after pictures. What bumper is that? Is it possible to change bumper for a factory laquerd one and not change the fenders?
Du you know if the side rail covers is different on a Caddy swb and a lwb?
Caddy Maxi 1.6 TDI -2014. First time VW/Caddy owner, already deep in the rabbit hole

Caddy Maxi - daily and camper build
Be4ny13
Caddy Fan

Post by Be4ny13 »

Poffe wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:10 am I love the changes you have made on the car! Just got me a Caddy Maxi Van -2014, looking very similiar to your before pictures, although with in a red colour.
I can only hope that some day mine will look like the after pictures. What bumper is that? Is it possible to change bumper for a factory laquerd one and not change the fenders?
Du you know if the side rail covers is different on a Caddy swb and a lwb?
Thanks for the kind words! The front bumper is the original bumper painted to match with a Van Style splitter fitted, I've seen people say you can't have the textured bumper painted but I haven't had any issues with paint peeling after 4 years. The rear was an already painted bumper I bought secondhand. The fenders are original too with mk4 side indicators. Yes the side rail covers are different, for the maxi they have a rounded end, just don't ask me for fitting advice because mine came with them already :lol:
Poffe
100BHP+

Post by Poffe »

Be4ny13 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:41 am Thanks for the kind words! The front bumper is the original bumper painted to match with a Van Style splitter fitted, I've seen people say you can't have the textured bumper painted but I haven't had any issues with paint peeling after 4 years. The rear was an already painted bumper I bought secondhand. The fenders are original too with mk4 side indicators. Yes the side rail covers are different, for the maxi they have a rounded end, just don't ask me for fitting advice because mine came with them already :lol:
Aha, nice!! I've painted grained plastics before and if you use plastic primer before and do all necessary preparations as you normally do before paint, I havent had any issues either. Nice to see your outcome! Maybe you have inspired me to paint mine as well.
Thanks! Now I know. Came pretty close to ordering swb Side rail covers, but I thought that i had to check one more time. Glad I did.

Did you keep caddy seating bottom brackets or did you switch to Touran ones?
Caddy Maxi 1.6 TDI -2014. First time VW/Caddy owner, already deep in the rabbit hole

Be4ny13
Caddy Fan

Post by Be4ny13 »

Standard Caddy bases, with the Touran bases the original seats sit really high I think. Although the drawer underneath is a nice idea I don't see myself using it. I just shove stuff under the passenger seat or in the overhead if I want it out of sight
Poffe
100BHP+

Post by Poffe »

Yeah, the drawer in it self wouldn’t be the reason I switched. If I were to switch it would be because the Touran bases looks a little bit better, or to fit a seat from another VAG car.

Although I have just found some Mercedes E class seats close by. Would be interesting to fit those in

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Be4ny13
Caddy Fan

Post by Be4ny13 »

New steering and suspension parts installed today, safe to say the old one was cooked Image Just need to get the wheels aligned and I can't wait to see the difference ImageImage

Billy.2kcaddy
100BHP+

Post by Billy.2kcaddy »

Good write-up here, mate. I've been going for suade on everything too when I realised it's not actually that expensive.

Sent from my SM-S908B using Tapatalk

Be4ny13
Caddy Fan

Post by Be4ny13 »

I've been having a play around with the barn door cards and how to have a handle without a lanyard flapping out the top or paying the insane caddy tax on an oem type interior handle. So behold! A door card with a hole in it Image I've used a length of nylon strap with a bolt through it and a zip tie, fairly standard, but then had a problem of losing the strap in the door as it was weighted. After some thoughts I've fitted a metal bracket with a slot in it and another bolt through the strap higher up to stop it falling into the door, works spot on. It has enough pull to unlatch the door, cheaper, and I think it looks cleaner. The card is fitted with hidden trim clips behind the suede, you can see the shadows of them protruding slightly.ImageImage

Poffe
100BHP+

Post by Poffe »

Be4ny13 wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 1:50 pmAfter some thoughts I've fitted a metal bracket with a slot in it and another bolt through the strap higher up to stop it falling into the door, works spot on. It has enough pull to unlatch the door, cheaper, and I think it looks cleaner. The card is fitted with hidden trim clips behind the suede, you can see the shadows of them protruding slightly.
Neat solution! I have a tailgate on mine. Maybe I’ll borrow the design from this later on. Really starting to like the suede look! Fairly easy to work with and cheap enough?