Caddy Maxi - daily and camper build

Show off your caddy
raitis
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 16V Petrol (100bhp)

Re: Caddy Maxi - daily and camper build

Post by raitis »

Nice, simple build so far. I notice you have an electric heater on the passenger side. Is it one from Defa that plugs into a power socket in the passenger footwell? Does your car have to be plugged into a 220V outlet for it to work? I have seen many cars from Finland and Sweden have a Defa system so thinking I could find all the necessary parts from scrapped vehicles and retrofit it.
Poffe
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by Poffe »

raitis wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:48 pm Nice, simple build so far. I notice you have an electric heater on the passenger side. Is it one from Defa that plugs into a power socket in the passenger footwell? Does your car have to be plugged into a 220V outlet for it to work? I have seen many cars from Finland and Sweden have a Defa system so thinking I could find all the necessary parts from scrapped vehicles and retrofit it.
Thx! Yes, it is from Defa. Plugs in to a socket in the footwell on the passenger side. It needs to be plugged in to a 220V outlet to work. Usually combined an engine heater in the block and with a timer in the 220V outlet.
You are correct. A lot of cars here in the north have them fitted. It is a common retrofit.
Caddy Maxi 1.6 TDI -2014. First time VW/Caddy owner, already deep in the rabbit hole

Poffe
100BHP+

Post by Poffe »

Found wiring diagram for Caddy MK3 and Skoda Octavia MK3 a few weeks ago. Those were quite crucial in order to be able to draw out an adapter cable for the seat heaters in the new seats(Skoda Octavia MK3 VRS, pictures posted earlier in the thread).

I looted my old caddy seats for the connectors and the very important black control module mounted under the left front seats. A VW car on the local scrap yard was also looted for some connectors that matched the Octavia seats.

This schematics is probably common with other VAG cars. But I can’t of course guarantee that other seats with the same connectors as the Octavia MK3 seats have the same wiring on the same pins.

Sent from my Nokia 3310
Caddy Maxi 1.6 TDI -2014. First time VW/Caddy owner, already deep in the rabbit hole

3rdLeg
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Post by 3rdLeg »

Nice build mate!

Interested in seeing how the seats work out. I need to do something about mine and get myself lower down than the standard position; feel perched not sat at the moment.

Keep the updates coming 👍
Poffe
100BHP+

Post by Poffe »

3rdLeg wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:26 pm Nice build mate!

Interested in seeing how the seats work out. I need to do something about mine and get myself lower down than the standard position; feel perched not sat at the moment.

Keep the updates coming 👍
Thanks mate! Ive already soldered some contacts and tested them out. Works like a treat! Now Im just going to tidy my work up.
The seating position is really flexible in these seats. Maybe they are in other VAG seats too. Thet go from sporty and very low(almost too low) up to SUV or truck feeling in height.

Poffe
100BHP+

Post by Poffe »

Finished result of my adapter cables for the heated seats and seat belt connector.Image

Sent from my Nokia 3310

3rdLeg
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Post by 3rdLeg »

👌 tidy
Poffe
100BHP+

Post by Poffe »

Reupholstered the Touran armrest with some leather from AliExpress. Better quality than I expected.

Used this thread to tear the armrest down and then back up again:

https://caddy2k.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24865

Sent from my Nokia 3310

The_Evil
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 CNG (107bhp)

Post by The_Evil »

Nice build, mate!
Does the stock airbag fit in that steering wheel?
Poffe
100BHP+

Post by Poffe »

The_Evil wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:34 am Nice build, mate!
Does the stock airbag fit in that steering wheel?
Thanks a lot!
Yes it does. That is the main reason why I bought this particular steering wheel.

snuffegull
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Post by snuffegull »

Some good progress so far!
Poffe
100BHP+

Post by Poffe »

snuffegull wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:02 pm Some good progress so far!
Thanks snuffegull!
By this time i thought I would have done more, but isn't that always the case?
Anyway, thankfull for what I have learned and done so far.

cotwn
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by cotwn »

Hello Poffe,

Good to see another Suede in the group, that said from a day fresh newbie :-).

I live myself in Skåne and have the same ambition as you, to transfer an old Caddy Maxi into a tiny camper van.

I am impressed with the work you have done so far and will come back and read the thread again when it is my time to start my project.

I am still working hard on getting the "right" Caddy Maxi to start with. I have been bidding on maybe 10 auctions so far, but the prices are sky rocketing on used vans at the moment. I find that this has been doing so for a while and with increasing speed the last two months. I really do not want to be the sucker that buy at the top, so I bid my time for the right moment.

Good luck with your project!
Finally (April 2024) I found my Caddy Maxi 2.0 TDi (2KN (IV) 2016) where I eventually have the ambition to make a moveable mobile camping interior.

"A chance comes like a snail and disappears like a lightning"
Poffe
100BHP+

Post by Poffe »

cotwn wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:03 pm Hello Poffe,

Good to see another Suede in the group, that said from a day fresh newbie :-).

I live myself in Skåne and have the same ambition as you, to transfer an old Caddy Maxi into a tiny camper van.

I am impressed with the work you have done so far and will come back and read the thread again when it is my time to start my project.

I am still working hard on getting the "right" Caddy Maxi to start with. I have been bidding on maybe 10 auctions so far, but the prices are sky rocketing on used vans at the moment. I find that this has been doing so for a while and with increasing speed the last two months. I really do not want to be the sucker that buy at the top, so I bid my time for the right moment.

Good luck with your project!
Hello Cotwn!

Yes, it is always nice to see a fellow country man on here! Thanks for the feedback and complements!
I have some upcomming updates, while also trying to find nice parts at local scrap yard.

I can really relate. I to was following the market and did some bidding on auction sites before finding my Caddy. I think it sky rockets every time the camper van season are closing in. And I think the low value of our currency and the war in Ukraine isnt helping. Hope you find your project car soon. Let me know when you have and when you are about to start your build.

Best of luck with your car hunt!

snuffegull
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Post by snuffegull »

There seems to be a fair few Swedes here! I'm in the Uppsala area