Van eating drop links

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
gazza31112
Hyper Poster

Van eating drop links

Post by gazza31112 »

Has anyone else's lowered van gone through drop links as quick as mine?
Iv been on BC racing coilovers for 3 years and have been through the standard set, a set of adjustable drop links, and a pair of BC ones, (which have lasted the longest), but have now gone and knocking like mad so iv had to order some more through darkside.
Iv never read anything on here regarding lowered vans eating them as quick as mine does! What could be the reason?

Sent from my moto g31(w) using Tapatalk

Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Re: Van eating drop links

Post by Doc »

That is somewhat extreme, three sets in three years.
The better coilovers with C shape mounts for the drop links do have a tendency to damage the top joint on the drop links due to the link touching the mount on full lock. The cheaper coilovers have a weaker flat plate mount for the drop links which tends to snap off so it's the price you pay.
If resisting using full lock is not an option, maybe a spacer will help?
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
gazza31112
Hyper Poster

Post by gazza31112 »

Thanks for reply doc, but not following, Spacer where?

Last edited by gazza31112 on Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Post by Doc »

Space the top joint of the drop links out from the mounting arm on the strut so the actual drop link doesn't touch the mount when on full lock.
I'll try to get a picture.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
gazza31112
Hyper Poster

Post by gazza31112 »

Ok that makes sense, I'll definitely try that out when they arrive, worth a try! thanks doc

Handyandy
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (75bhp)

Post by Handyandy »

I have had a similar problem not as excessive as you but what I did notice was the top fixing of the drop link to the strut even though I had tightened as much as I could I still had play I realised on the drop link the nut had reached the end of the thread so wasn't as tight as it should of been I so was still knocking after few weeks I soughted this with a big thick washer about 4mm thick and touch wood not had a problem since
Beluga blue caddy remapped to 145ish side window and bonnet deflector lowered and 18" calibre rims on 225/40/18
gazza31112
Hyper Poster

Post by gazza31112 »

Thanks mate, I'm definitely going to give this a go when they finally get here