headlight level, manual adjust wheel broken?

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Lockstock
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

headlight level, manual adjust wheel broken?

Post by Lockstock »

I've searched forum, without luck.

my 2016 caddy (non xenon), no self leveling (as far as I know).
I've noticed the dipped beam level adjustment wheel does nothing. both headlights don't budge, and my driver's side is angled down a lot more than passenger side.

Is there a way of tracking down the cause of the issue. I'm assuming it must be either the headlight motor, or the switch(wheel). as both headlights are static, I'm leaning towards wheel.

is the wheel coded or can I just source a replacement and swap it over?

cheers
FishermansFriend
Hyper Poster

Re: headlight level, manual adjust wheel broken?

Post by FishermansFriend »

Can you adjust them using an allen key, I have xenons but maybe yours are the same, there is a white piece of plastic on the headlight that you can adjust the height up/ down with an allen key. If you need a new dash switch you can just replace it, no coding required.
Lockstock
Hyper Poster

Post by Lockstock »

cheers man. yep all the headlights have manual adjustment. But they have a motorised level adjustment for changes in load.

This is what's not working. I'm fairly sure it will be the variable voltage wheel in dashboard adjustment wheel. but before spending money on parts, I'm trying to see if I can pinpoint the issue.
DW2207
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Post by DW2207 »

For what it's worth, just check behind the dash cover this switch is fitted on just to rule out it as not been left unplugged or not plugged in properly.
I'm not trying to sound like a smart arse but sometimes it can be the simplest of things at first.

Sent from my SM-S921B using Tapatalk

Lockstock
Hyper Poster

Post by Lockstock »

problem found. extracted switch. the copper contact on the wheel that acts as the variable voltage or potentiometer is 'missing'/broken. pic attached. no idea how this happens.... maybe a bad plastic casting or someone forced the dial in the past.

New switch it is!...
Attachments
PXL_20240211_091302989.jpg