2008 Caddy potential build/engine swap

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
tim04
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

2008 Caddy potential build/engine swap

Post by tim04 »

Hi,

I ‘ve posted a few times looking for advice in the last year on my 2008 Caddy and it’s been such a great forum for helpful advice. I’m at a bit of a crossroads at the moment in terms of what to do with the van. I was given it last year as my wife’s company scrapped it/got rid of it, and I’ve spent a £1000 so far getting it mechanically sound (I’ve done all the work myself); new clutch and flywheel, timing belt and water pump, £300 on alloys and tyres from a new caddy, sump, new front calipers/discs/pads, servicing etc. It’s only done 71k so worth saving. I also spent hours fixing the wiring loom as it had been chewed by rats.

I really enjoy working on it, and in an ideal world I would love to do a colour change (Porsche Jet Metallic Green) and a new front end (the wings need replacing anyway). If I was spending a significant sum on a respray (the rear upper panel is badly dented and would need quite a bit or panel work), I would probably want to do an engine swap, not least to make it ULEZ compliant as I live near Edinburgh. I would be grateful for any advice on what would be the “best” engine swap, specifically to make it compliant with ULEZ and to future proof it against any further tightening of the rules.

The other option is to sell it and buy a newer van in Toffee Brown (my other favourite colour) and modify that.

Any thoughts?

Thanks