Power steering

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
bigdee181
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.8 20V Turbo

Power steering

Post by bigdee181 »

Hi guys and girls. I am busy doing a 1.8t swap and read somewhere that the mk5 GTI steering rack works well in the caddy. Is that something I should look into further or should I keep the original?

This is probably covered in the somewhere else already, but I don't have access to it all yet. Hopefully soon :)

Thanks again and keep up the good mods
Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Re: Power steering

Post by Doc »

The mk5 GTI and the caddy use the same rack, don't let anyone sell you a GTI rack as an upgrade.
If your caddy has hydraulic steering, an electric rack conversion will help.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
bigdee181
Caddy Fan

Post by bigdee181 »

Thanks for the reply. Is there a specific make and model steering rack I should get?

Sent from my STK-L22 using Tapatalk

Doc
Not God, just a bellend

Post by Doc »

What have you got on your van, hydraulic or electric?

I'd only buy a non VW steering rack if I couldn't get one anywhere.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
bigdee181
Caddy Fan

Post by bigdee181 »

I have not started taking the engine out yet. It is a 10 plate 1.9 tdi.

bigdee181
Caddy Fan

Post by bigdee181 »

I have hydrologic steering. Should I change that to electric?

Doc
Not God, just a bellend

Post by Doc »

I would, the hydraulic rack is temperamental and they fail a lot more often than the electric version.
You're already going to be changing the wiring so may as well add the extra for the rack while you're at it.

bigdee181
Caddy Fan

Post by bigdee181 »

The van has done 258k miles already and strats 1st time, everytime. No major issues.

Do you know whereI can find the electrical side of things? Has someone done it already?

bigdee181
Caddy Fan

Post by bigdee181 »

Hi Doc

Here are all the details of both cars. 2010 tdi 1.9 bls with hydrolic ps and no ac. I want to swap a 2001 audi tt 1.8t manual hydrolic ps with ac delete. The audi was free, hence the swap. What electric ps should I get? And where or who should I talk to regarding the wiring problem? Mechanically, I can do all of it myself. But the dark arts of wires are a mistery to me. Not that I wont have a go at it myself, with the right kind of info that is.

Again thanks for the help and great forum

Doc
Not God, just a bellend

Post by Doc »

If your van has gotten to 258k without a replacement steering rack, you might have an indestructible one on there.
As for the wiring, you need to pick up CANbus and ignition power, these can be taken from the ECU as you'll already be in there for the engine swap.
I'm not that familiar with the 1.8T engines and their ECUs, it's not something I've looked into.

bigdee181
Caddy Fan

Post by bigdee181 »

I will try posting my progress as I go on. Thanks

bigdee181
Caddy Fan

Post by bigdee181 »

This is the ecu that will go in the Caddy. Is there a list on the forum or somewhere else of all the sensors ect that will have to be rewired. I will use the TT acceleration paddle, so I dont have to change any wires there.

C Chis
Hyper Poster

Post by C Chis »

A useful website for all the wiring, etc... is

https://erwin.volkswagen.de/erwin/showHome.do

It’s a paid for service, however you can download/print off all the diagrams or any other car/van VW info for use offline, great service, I’ve used it a couple of times for stuff!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2010 pre-facelift Mk3 3.2 VR6 : Touran Interior : 3D Premium Clocks : R32 Bumper : Climatic A/C

My VR6 Build Thread and Details can be Found Here
bigdee181
Caddy Fan

Post by bigdee181 »

Thanks. I will look at that. I have elsawin. Is it similar or not?

C Chis
Hyper Poster

Post by C Chis »

Same thing, just online and bang up to date.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2010 pre-facelift Mk3 3.2 VR6 : Touran Interior : 3D Premium Clocks : R32 Bumper : Climatic A/C

My VR6 Build Thread and Details can be Found Here