Tint % for rear door glass

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
JPH77
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Tint % for rear door glass

Post by JPH77 »

Looking to take out the steel panels and the black film and replace with a dark tint that I can see through using the rear view mirror.... I want as dark as possible but transparent enough to see through when reversing.

Has anyone done this? What % tint did you go for?
JPH77
Caddy Fan

Re: Tint % for rear door glass

Post by JPH77 »

I think I've answered this myself.... Need 5% for privacy from outside... Just wondering what it's like at night?
Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Post by Doc »

5% is proper limo tint, you won't see much from outside into the vehicle unless there's some lights on inside.
From inside, looking out it'll be like wearing dark glasses.

Perfect for privacy in the back, keep prying eyes out.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
SunEye
Caddy Fan

Post by SunEye »

With a limo tinted rear window you can’t see a lot out of it at night, but you will see vehicle headlights behind you and if the street is well lit you’ll see a bit more.

I had limo tinted rear windows on a Mondeo estate. Reversing at night was fine until the parking sensors stopped working. Then I had to rely on just using the wing mirrors, like lorry and van drivers did before parking sensors. It wasn’t a big problem I just had to be more careful and be aware of what was around me rather than relying on something beeping at me to tell me where I am. I never got the parking sensors fixed, so night time reversing (which I did almost daily) was never a big problem without them.
Handyandy
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (75bhp)

Post by Handyandy »

I too have gone for the limo tinted 5% as the last two posts said it stops people looking in and looking through a rear view could be a problem but that's what the door mirrors are for if like in my van if i look through the rear view mirror i have got to look around the centre of the bulkhead and then around the centre of the back doors so you don't see much anyway
Beluga blue caddy remapped to 145ish side window and bonnet deflector lowered and 18" calibre rims on 225/40/18
Scoobysrt
Hyper Poster

Post by Scoobysrt »

Alternatively you could go for mirror, I've never had a problem with limo tint in past vehicles but on the van I also have the steel mesh covers and mesh bulkhead which detract the eye and make it harder to impossible to see out.
However I just use my mirrors and don't have an issue.

Personally I wouldn't do away with the mesh or in your case the steel covers.
A reversing camera is really the simple solution that will give the clearest view without compromising security.

Only my opinion though.
2016 Starlight blue highline 2.0 tdi - stainless side bars - DubUnit remap 190 bhp ish - st x lowering kit - golf R cadiz 18" wheels - rear wiper delete - ProVan600 interior led light - red painted calipers - Kenwood headunit - sequential side repeaters - vcds hex net pro
Handyandy
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (75bhp)

Post by Handyandy »

I'd agree with you @scoobysrt
Beluga blue caddy remapped to 145ish side window and bonnet deflector lowered and 18" calibre rims on 225/40/18
Runningrunningjump
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Runningrunningjump »

I got my maxi tinted this week from factory tints to full limo tint the darkest they could do. Very happy with it. Almost impossible to see in but can see out fine during the day. Not tried driving at night. Cost me £200 but that if for a maxi life so 5 windows.