new owner, couple of questions

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
dubvan
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (74bhp)

Re: new owner, couple of questions

Post by dubvan »

nutsnvolks wrote:
Also, with regards to lowering of a 2012 caddy maxi life, is the rear end the same deal as the older caddys, in other words it's an axle flip to lower the rear?

Cheers for all the help so far people :D
I've done quite a bit of research into this, mate. I too have a 2012 Maxi Life and after spending many hours contacting various companies and also online searches, I have not yet found a suitable or safe way of lowering my van (unless it is an air ride system). The main issue is the comfort leaf springs on the back. Eibach was my favoured choice, but will not sanction fitting to the Maxi Life because of the axle weights. I've seen some fit VMaxx, but the comfort spring is way too close to the ground, unless you cut it (which I'm not into!). Darkside do axle flip too, but as their kit is listed for off-road use only, I wouldn't fancy my insurer coughing if there was an accident. If you find anything I've missed please let me know, as I would love to get mine lower!

Cheers, Jonesy :mrgreen:
nutsnvolks
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by nutsnvolks »

When you say "comfort spring" on the maxi life, am I right in assuming this is just a softer leaf spring to allow for a smoother ride? If that's the case could it not just be swapped for a caddy maxi van spring, and then lowered using the eibach shackles?
dubvan
Hyper Poster

Post by dubvan »

The comfort set up means you have another spring underneath the normal leaf spring. However, it isn't attached at each end, and has a rubber bung on. Essentially the problem, if you lower it is ground clearance and also because of how the leafs are sprung I've read it can bottom out without much weight in at all. Even if you swapped to single leaf of maxi van, I'm not sure how that would work out with axle weight, let alone cost involved?

Jonesy :mrgreen:
I.D.S.
Hyper Poster

Post by I.D.S. »

Yes you could do that.I believe that option was discussed earlier this year,someone was selling the very springs to do this. However i have another option for you. I visited Sirus(well worth a visit alone) and during a conversation they have an adapted spring that hinges atached to some hydraulic's. You would be better to contact Russ or Simon,or try a shout out on this very forum and Russ might pop up.
dubvan
Hyper Poster

Post by dubvan »

I know that there is lots of good stuff going on at Sirius. I suspect the cost involved with that setup would be in the thousands. I was looking at £500-£600 all in, like an eibach set up. I know someone was considering single leaf swap on a Maxi Life, but I've searched and not found an answer to whether it was actually done. As I've said, I'm not entirely sure what the ride would be like because of the different springs and axle weights involved.

nutsnvolks
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by nutsnvolks »

I will have to have a look in one of my old landrover magazines I'm sure I remember seeing a company that could make custom leaf springs to your spec (height weight) will have to see not that I'm in any huge rush
dubvan
Hyper Poster

Post by dubvan »

Sounds like a plan. I know there are companies that can reform the ones you have, but I also know again that can the affect the weight they can carry. Let me know if you find something, bud.