roof whirly fan

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
PaulieB
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (84bhp)

roof whirly fan

Post by PaulieB »

hey guys, I pick my very first caddy up this coming Saturday and I can't wait! The only thing I dislike about my new toy is the disgusting whirly vent on the roof which is mounted at the rear right hand side (why it couldn't be mounted centrally I don't know?). Has anybody removed said fan and if so how have you filled the hole which I believe is around 100mm in diameter?
Cheers
paul
If it weren't for bad luck I'd have none....
torque777
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (79bhp)

Re: roof whirly fan

Post by torque777 »

Maybe weld a plate in?
kirade
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (103bhp)

Post by kirade »

I had one in mine horrible thing, tiger sealed a round repair panel that I had in the body colour, left a large weight on it overnight to keep it flat, had no issues with it, and a similar patch on roof lining before carpeting.
Mike
PaulieB
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by PaulieB »

Cheers for the replies, I thought of sikaflexing a pre painted small metal panel inside the roof then maybe filling the hole on the external roof surface with maybe glassfibre then bodyfiller but I'm unsure whether this would work?
dubvan
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (74bhp)

Post by dubvan »

I had one on a Vauxhall Combi once. Made a hell of a racket; I hated it! Most efficient and aesthetic way of getting rid, is to weld a plate in and paint it. Just my opinion, bud.

Jonesy :mrgreen:
PaulieB
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by PaulieB »

Cheers Dubvan... I know one thing for sure, one way or another it's being removed! :D
714priest
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (75bhp)

Post by 714priest »

i had a roof light in mine the hole was alot smaller but i used fiberglass and filler. i also used fiberglass to fill in some BIG rust holes in my mate mk2 caddy they were 6"plus size holes and it works well
do you dig it
PaulieB
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by PaulieB »

Cheers 714PRIEST, I may have a go at that rather than having a blanking plate on show! :)
714priest
100BHP+

Post by 714priest »

i did it because i dont know how to weld or have the gear to blow myself up trying. fiberglass is easy but id watch some youtube videos on how to use it 1st.
do you dig it
PaulieB
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by PaulieB »

Will do buddy.. Cheers for the advise! :D
mikeb1810
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by mikeb1810 »

Hi all,

I realise this is an old thread, but seemed to make sense to carry this on rather than make a new one.

I am looking to remove the vent from my ex BG van and was wondering if I could get a plate slightly larger than the hole and use some metal adhesive to hold it in place
does anybody have any experience of this?

I am guessing it doesn't have to be that strong as it isn't load bearing, but should be flexible / waterproof.
Once cured I was thinking I could use some body filler and spray paint to smooth it out.

Thoughts?
Caddyluv
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Post by Caddyluv »

Well I don’t have experience but cars are now being built with glues. So I assume if what ever they use is strong enough for a plate.

If your going to the effort of painting it, why not get it welded and respray the roof.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mikeb1810
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by mikeb1810 »

I'd feel confident doing the adhesive and spray myself. It doesn't have to look perfect as its on the roof, I just want it to be functional.

I don't have any welding gear (or much experience welding!). If there was a solution that I could do myself that would be great.
jockefc23
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by jockefc23 »

Hi,

Sorry to bring this thread up again but I've been looking at buying a Caddy for a camper conversion and a lot of them have these fans.

Rather than weld/fibreglass and replace it, does anyone know if you can replace it with a normal fan/vent that would be useful when using the camper for airflow?

I'm not sure how noisy these things are but I'm sure they probably aren't good for insulation purposes.

Thanks
Baldspeed Racing
100BHP+

Post by Baldspeed Racing »

you can get slimline versions which arent as tall, my van came with what looked like a satellite dish on the roof when I first got it which looked so bad. After a bit of looking on ebay I got one which is only 2-3 inches tall which makes a big ol difference. its in black as well so kinda bit more subtle.