RCD 510 DAB Conversion.

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Buck85
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (74bhp)

RCD 510 DAB Conversion.

Post by Buck85 »

I Have an RCD 310 fitted in my Caddy and I'm thinking of swapping it out for a 510 DAB. Will it need an extra antenna for the DAB? Also will my bluetooth still work?
2013 1.6 Caddy Maxi. Rear double seat conversion.
Gibbo
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (84bhp)

RCD 510 DAB Conversion.

Post by Gibbo »

Yes to antenna I don't know about Bluetooth although the I have dab unit for sale in correct section matey ;-)
Buck85
Caddy2k Groupie

Re: RCD 510 DAB Conversion.

Post by Buck85 »

Is the antenna a VW part, I can get? Still need to get the unit but I can't get on that bit yet cos I'm new. Can you email me the details?
Gibbo
Hyper Poster

Post by Gibbo »

I don't want to break any rules of forum, But I think as its in the for sale section it's ok to tell you (if not please remove doc apologises) this is eBay item number 331672780570 and no don't need VW dab aerial mind cost £20 from eBay
Buck85
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Buck85 »

Thanks for that I'll give it a look. Apologies if I've broken any rules.
Gibbo
Hyper Poster

Post by Gibbo »

Buck85 wrote:Thanks for that I'll give it a look. Apologies if I've broken any rules.
it wasn't you mate no probs, in the for sale section I've said open to sensible offer
Geraout
Twin Turbo poster

Post by Geraout »

Doesn't affect the Bluetooth. In fact it gives a much better display that you can use to dial numbers, answer calls etc without faffing about with the steering wheel stalk. Don't know about the RNS315, presumably you would have to disable its internal bluetooth.

You do need an additional DAB antenna which plugs into the separate black connector on the head unit.
You have 4 main choices;

You can use a stick on ribbon antenna on the windscreen and feed the wire down the a pillar trim - costs about £20.

You can fit a magnetic mast type roof mounted antenna (also works inside) cost about £15.

You can install the OE VW DAB antenna in the door mirror and feed the wire through the door - costs about £60.

You can install a roof mounted antenna. This involves drilling through the roof and routing the cable through the head lining and A pillar. Cost for an aftermarket antenna about £45, or an OE VW one about £60.

In terms of reception the best is the roof mounted option. Windscreen mounted is the worst and frequently drops out. OE door mirror is very good, and the magnetic mast is probably as good as a windscreen ribbon if mounted internally, and as good as the OE mirror type when mounted on the roof although you have a trailing cable to hide.

I tried the windscreen one first but had such poor reception that I went for the roof mounted OE version which is perfect - no drop outs at all and can pick up distant DAB stations.
IainH91
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by IainH91 »

Geraout - got a link or part number for the OEM DAB aerial?