Vw caddy Roof rails

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Glen G
Twin Turbo poster
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Vw caddy Roof rails

Post by Glen G »

Hey Guys just gathering information on these so I can keep an eye out il be looking for some roof bars for the caddy aluminium ones

Where would be the best place to get them I seen some on ebay.

And do touran roof rails fit the caddy?

And a quick second question save me starting another topic. Front Seats what seats are a straight swap for the 07 caddy

Cheers Glen
Last edited by Glen G on Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SnoWhite
Twin Turbo poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Re: Vw caddy Roof bars

Post by SnoWhite »

Hmm not everything on theBay is cheap or indeed the best quality so in your shoes I would do some research first as stuff on the roof needs to be really well attached.

Case in point on theBay prices - you will find a genuine VAGCOM kit is listed at well over £300 when the same kit can be bought direct from the official Gendan outlet for £270 delivered.

Back to roof bars

My Maxi has rails fitted as standard (black) but I needed a set of cross bars to fit a ski roofbox. Yes I checked prices on theBay but realised that once you add in delivery etc for any bars that looked of decent quality they worked out very similar to the prices from Halfords.

I then remembered I had a set of genuine Skoda branded (thule) bars from my old Octavia in the garage and ever the optimist tried them. Sure enough they fitted perfectly onto the Maxi rails and so they have been used regularly since on several cross Europe trips. Amusingly when I bought those rails I remember finding that virtually identical VAG parts branded with the Skoda logo were a lot cheaper than equivalent items with a VW logo. I wonder if that still applies.

SnoWhite
Glen G
Twin Turbo poster

Post by Glen G »

Cheers for the reply yeah I want to stay away from ebay if I can lol

these are the ones im looking for

something like these
Geraout
Twin Turbo poster
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (84bhp)

Post by Geraout »

You're looking for roof rails (front to back) rather than roof bars (side to side) as per your title ....
Glen G
Twin Turbo poster

Re: Vw caddy Roof rails

Post by Glen G »

Yeah cheers mate didn't know correct word for them lol Yeh I'd like to get a pair if I could I was thinking volkswagen themselves but might be expensive
Glen G
Twin Turbo poster

Post by Glen G »

Anyone else know where the best place is to get one of these?

Or do volkswagen do them?
Dave W
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by Dave W »

VW do them, but they're about £350 or so if I remember right.

You can either get cheapy rails which look the business, but are only rated to carry <50kg or on German ebay there are sometimes some which are rated for the full 100kg. The last time I saw them on there they were £150, but can't see them on at the minute. I have some on my van and they look great and are bomber.
Glen G
Twin Turbo poster

Post by Glen G »

Cheers Dave Don't suppose u have a part number for them? I don't have access yet to that Thread :/

I'l be honest I'm just getting them for the looks think they will go well with some sidebars

But still be handy if I do wanna carry stuff
R20DBO
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Post by R20DBO »

Do SWB RAILS fit the maxi.

Not sure how it would look.

Many thanks in advance 😀
Brock
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by Brock »

I bought some roof rails, from Germany on eBay. [£160]

Four fix point maxi, in black aluminium.

They started to corrode after 10 months!

After sending 4 emails, plus pics, with no reply, I'm now stuck with some very unsightly roof rails.

I wish I'd spent more and bought genuine VW ones.
anoneamus
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Post by anoneamus »

My Caddy had them factory fitted. Comparing the look of the fake ones to the real ones, I would save the money for the real deal. The fake ones are much uglier as well as lower quality and lower rated (weight-wise). Personally, I always go for the thing (whatever it is) that I really want, as going for cheap junk will cost more in the long run (price of cheap junk + price of actual thing which you will eventually buy anyway). If price is a big factor, try to find 2nd hand ones.