Strange noise.....

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
horace01
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Re: Strange noise.....

Post by horace01 »

Not yet. But I do have an inspection camera on its way to me so I can get a look at those hard to see places.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
2007 Caddy 1.9 TDi 77kW BLS: R32 Wheel w/ paddle shifters : MK6 Golf GTi seats : Dynamat & carpeted : Reverse camera : Eonon GM5153 head unit : Avant Garde M220 18x8" Et 42 wheels :V-Maxx Xxtreme coilovers & rear shackles Gaz rear shocks : Mapped by DNA Tuning

Link to my build: viewtopic.php?t=19058" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
KenTDI140
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (79bhp)

Post by KenTDI140 »

Have u thought about an anti roll bar drop link ball joint Which u would not tell unless you took it off and the noise would travel up the shook to where it's mounted just under the windscreen
horace01
Hyper Poster

Post by horace01 »

Thanks Ken,

I have swapped the drop links from the LHS to the RHS and and vise versa with no change. Both seemed to be in pretty good condition with no binding at all on the joints.

I also bought and fitted adjustable drop links thinking it could be the APB knocking on something. Again there was no change when making them either longer of shorter than the original links. I even when to the extreme length on them so that the ARB would bang so I could hear that sound to rule it out. The ARB banging is a very definite metallic clunk, whereas the noise I have sounds like it is from something plastic.
2007 Caddy 1.9 TDi 77kW BLS: R32 Wheel w/ paddle shifters : MK6 Golf GTi seats : Dynamat & carpeted : Reverse camera : Eonon GM5153 head unit : Avant Garde M220 18x8" Et 42 wheels :V-Maxx Xxtreme coilovers & rear shackles Gaz rear shocks : Mapped by DNA Tuning

Link to my build: viewtopic.php?t=19058" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
KenTDI140
Hyper Poster

Post by KenTDI140 »

Sounds a real pain in the arse I've got a similar sort of vibration rattle coming from under the Center tray in the top of the dash. Just not had time to look at it yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jamiec
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.8 20V Turbo

Post by jamiec »

I just had this same noise start a few days ago as I was travelling on some really rough roads. I thought all the vibrations from the road had loosened something under the dash. Sounds like it is just under the top of the dash near where the windscreen is and slightly to the drivers side. This noise happened a few more times that day and I have now not heard since though I have not driven on that road again as I was just travelling through .It is very annoying and I expect it will happen again when the road conditions are not right :roll:
I don't believe it is coming from any suspension parts.

I don't have time yet to look further into the problem.

Cheers Jamie
woodywoodpecker1975
100BHP+

Post by woodywoodpecker1975 »

Hi Horace,

I cant offer any suggestions only to say mine makes a similar noise near the windscreen on the left hand side when driving on bumpy roads (everyday on a very 17mile bumpy stretch to work), I thought it was the windscreen at first because the sound is a bit like ice splitting (thought I had a crack or something).

Im just turning the stereo up at the moment but Il have to investigate at some point as well.
horace01
Hyper Poster

Re: RE: Re: Strange noise.....

Post by horace01 »

KenTDI140 wrote:Sounds a real pain in the arse I've got a similar sort of vibration rattle coming from under the Center tray in the top of the dash. Just not had time to look at it yet.

That will probably be the two nuts that hold the dash to the steel frame. If you take out the centre tray you will see them and can easily tighten them up. I did mine last week.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

horace01
Hyper Poster

Post by horace01 »

Deleted

Oops wrong thread

KenTDI140
Hyper Poster

Post by KenTDI140 »

Thanks will take a look

Neo
Hyper Poster

Post by Neo »

I`m sure mine`s getting worse but I still can`t trace where the noise is coming from :lol:
horace01
Hyper Poster

Post by horace01 »

Here is a photo a Facebook user gave me of the underside of the dash.

I'm wondering if the air vent tubing that runs to the side window demister may be the culprit. I'm not even sure if it's removable and could come loose. I have checked mine at the point where it meets the window, the little triangle vent, and it seems fine there.

Hopefully my inspection camera will arrive next week so I can poke around and have a look.

Neo
Hyper Poster

Post by Neo »

Have you got anywhere with this yet Horace?
horace01
Hyper Poster

Post by horace01 »

Not really. I had a bit of a poke around with the inspection camera last night but couldn't really identify anything.

I did check the seal all around the lower windscreen and it looked fine.

I won't get a chance this week to investigate further but will keep this thread up to date when I do.

I may just have to pull the dash out. Which I really don't want to do.

horace01
Hyper Poster

Post by horace01 »

So I had a poke about with the inspection cam today.

Its pretty hard to move the camera about but i couldn't see anything that looked loose or broken.

Eventually I removed the cluster to insert the camera into the dash from behind it. As soon as I took the cluster off I noticed this

The one on the opposite side was loose too but hadn't come out completely. I applied loctite to both before screwing them back in.

Unfortunately these are not then source of my troubles.

skidmark
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.0 TSI (100bhp)

Post by skidmark »

Is the sound worse at different speeds or throttle ? You sure its not something in the engine bay.

I had a odd noise that sounded behind the dash, but only happened at light throttle, turned out to be the air filter lid was very slightly loose and the back pressure was causing it to flap.
2018 Trendline 1.0 Petrol