Taller Tyres for a 4motion Maxi

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
anoneamus
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Re: Taller Tyres for a 4motion Maxi

Post by anoneamus »

Robin UK wrote:I wonder if you can get the Caddy Cross trim OEM. The arch protectors at least might be a good idea on my van if they fit. Also, do the under carriage guards extend further than the bumpers? Are they plastic or metal? I was tempted by the aluminium engine tray/protector from the site linked above, but they're a bit more than I want to spend just now.
You can, however it's expensive and mostly cosmetic (and all plastic!). There is an under-engine tray, but I believe that is the same (plastic) OEM one people are fitting on here. I wouldn't bother that much with the metal one, as anything you hit that can break the plastic (it's tough!) will cause you issues regardless of what the tray is made of...

You can find the part numbers somewhere in here:

http://www.caddy2k.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 50#p128050" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Pastypirate
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.8 20V Turbo

Post by Pastypirate »

Love the look of a caddy cross. Thanks for the info on tyre sizes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Robin UK
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Robin UK »

Fitted the all-season tyres on saturday. Really pleased, ride much better, grips great, the increase in ride height is welcome, and clearance gone up from ~15cm (warn tyres) to ~17cm at rear diff. Haven't yet got enough data to ascertain mpg change, slight more bass ot teh road noise, but nothing concerning.

Before:

After:

These are Nokian Weatherproof 205/60 R16 92H
Current: 2014 Caddy Maxi Life 2.0 TDi DSG 140ps

Previously: 2012 Caddy Maxi Life 2.0 TDi 4motion 110ps
Conrad
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by Conrad »

Audisport wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:25 pm My 2wd on 205/65/16 Yokohama Geolandars. Ride well, no noticible problems with gearing and mine is only a 1.6tdi, i wouldnt hesitate to fit them again. My speedo under read by 6% and these are 6% bigger so is now dead on, if you have issues it can be adjusted on VCDS.

Sorry to revive an old thread. How did the 205/65/16 stand up over time? Any issues with rubbing or catching at all? What about yours @anoneamus

Thanks
anoneamus
Hyper Poster

Post by anoneamus »

Conrad wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:35 pm Any issues with rubbing or catching at all? What about yours @anoneamus
No issues. I believe you would have if you went wider than 205. I have a low-profile set of (Michelin Pilot) road tyres on 17" rims and the All Terrain on 15" rims. I swap them around occasionally. 2 different cars for the price of 1 :P
Conrad
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Conrad »

anoneamus wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:14 pm No issues. I believe you would have if you went wider than 205. I have a low-profile set of (Michelin Pilot) road tyres on 17" rims and the All Terrain on 15" rims. I swap them around occasionally. 2 different cars for the price of 1 :P

Yes, we get out camping in south eastern Australia and would swap wheels when heading out of the city. I'm not after extra width, just the height. However I have the feeling that R15's won't fit on my maki life and finding suitable all terrains for the R16 is proving difficult.

Do you carry a spare, does it fit under the car?

I've had an extra 8mm leaf added to the rear with a bit of extra lift to the existing springs but would love a bit more grip on the gravel roads in the high country.
anoneamus
Hyper Poster

Post by anoneamus »

Conrad wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:52 pm Yes, we get out camping in south eastern Australia and would swap wheels when heading out of the city.
Same in South Africa, that's what I use them for.
Conrad wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:52 pm However I have the feeling that R15's won't fit on my maki life and finding suitable all terrains for the R16 is proving difficult.
Was impossible to find 16 or 17 inch all terrains in South Africa that would fit (Europe is easy). In any case, you want 15 inch if it will fit (depends on brake disc size), as it puts more rubber between your teeth and the rocks.
Conrad wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:52 pm Do you carry a spare, does it fit under the car?
Yes, I have a 5th AT tyre on a steel rim. I keep that as the spare all the time (can't be arsed to swap spares around). I use a cover on the spare as it gets a lot of chips from stones being thrown up.
Conrad wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:52 pm I've had an extra 8mm leaf added to the rear with a bit of extra lift to the existing springs but would love a bit more grip on the gravel roads in the high country.
I haven't modified the suspension, but I've been on some roads I did not expect a 2WD to manage, without any issues. It's a completely different car with the AT tyres, I leave them on most of the time nowadays (only downsides are more road noise and a bit more body roll when cornering).
Conrad
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Conrad »

Off topic, but how do I post an image?
Conrad
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Conrad »

I think 15's would fit on the rear but I suspect my front brakes are too large. I'm also finding it hard to find suitable all terrains here in Oz, seems like they only cater for the oversized 4wd market.

Changing the spare would be a pain but I've been advised to operate the mechanism regularly and keep both the bolts well greased to avoid it ceasing up.

I think the swb rear suspension is different to yours (will post pic when I work out how!). Previously I would scrape the hitch mount all the time and it would sit on the rubber stoppers when it was loaded up.

I know people flip the rear axles to lower their ride but does it also give you a higher clearance (other than where the springs hang)?
Greg The Great
100BHP+

Post by Greg The Great »

anoneamus wrote:
Yes, I have a 5th AT tyre on a steel rim. I keep that as the spare all the time (can't be arsed to swap spares around). I use a cover on the spare as it gets a lot of chips from stones being thrown up.
Do you have the spare located underneath? My 4motion maxi didn't come with a spare apparently because of the Haldex?

Also is there a way to tell if 15" wheels will fit or not, other than trying one?

Sent from my SM-J600FN using Tapatalk

anoneamus
Hyper Poster

Post by anoneamus »

Conrad wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:35 am I think 15's would fit on the rear but I suspect my front brakes are too large. I'm also finding it hard to find suitable all terrains here in Oz, seems like they only cater for the oversized 4wd market.
The size tyre I used is most commonly used for Suzuki Jimny. Most other cars that use AT tyres have bigger wheels. If Australia is anything like South Africa you won't find 16" AT tyres because there aren't any (new) cars that use them. You'll have to either measure your brake discs, do a trial fit of a 15" rim or get the brake specs from the VIN number.
Conrad wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:35 am I think the swb rear suspension is different to yours (will post pic when I work out how!). Previously I would scrape the hitch mount all the time and it would sit on the rubber stoppers when it was loaded up.
I have unmodified SWB suspension. AFAIK the only Caddy with a different suspension is the 4motion. I don't have one.
Conrad wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:35 am I know people flip the rear axles to lower their ride but does it also give you a higher clearance (other than where the springs hang)?
I don't know. I'm not interested in modifying the suspension.
anoneamus
Hyper Poster

Post by anoneamus »

Greg The Great wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:36 am Do you have the spare located underneath? My 4motion maxi didn't come with a spare apparently because of the Haldex?

Also is there a way to tell if 15" wheels will fit or not, other than trying one?
My spare is mounted underneath. I don't have 4motion.

You'll have to either measure your brake discs, do a trial fit of a 15" rim or get the brake specs from the VIN number.
Greg The Great
100BHP+

Post by Greg The Great »

Thanks Anonaemos, I thought the Caddy Cross had 4Motion as standard, I see now it was an optional extra.

Sent from my SM-J600FN using Tapatalk

anoneamus
Hyper Poster

Post by anoneamus »

Greg The Great wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:49 am I thought the Caddy Cross had 4Motion as standard, I see now it was an optional extra.
It's not available on South African Caddy Cross, which is arguably one place where it would be useful. I'm not sure that there are any RHD Caddy Crosses with 4Motion, but maybe in Ireland?
Conrad
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Conrad »

I just missed out on a 4-motion (RHD-Australia) but happy with what I ended up with due to the lower kilometres, also tried out a multivan but find the Caddy so much more versatile, economical, and car like with only minimal loss of cargo space. The multivan felt like I was driving a limousine for the kids! I didn't think the 15 inch wheels would fit over my front brakes but I called the dealership today, gave them my VIN and they confirmed it would be fine.