Steering wheel shaking over 60mph

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
volkshome
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (74bhp)

Re: Steering wheel shaking over 60mph

Post by volkshome »

one other thing to check , if your van has been lowered , take a quick run round with a socket set and check all the nuts are tightened up properly.

check the steering ball joints on the rack as well as i have known for them to come loose on more than one occasion!

lets us know tomorrow how you get on.
Chris017
Twin Turbo poster
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (79bhp)

Post by Chris017 »

Yes it is lowered and done recently so will double check that as wouldn't even check that to be honest as always has the rubber on the top nut

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
volkshome
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (74bhp)

Post by volkshome »

how did it go?
Chris017
Twin Turbo poster

Post by Chris017 »

Just got home from a spin. Rite here goes
Drove up to70mph shacking started at 60mph
Put van into neutral and still shacking so my diagnosis is not the gearbox
Road was really quiet and radio off plus smooth road so can hear all the little noises
So can here something from front passenger side, sounds like inner arch plastic shacking and hitting the body even though it's tight so will check that and also the plastic under the engine not the undertray as haven't got one but the side where you screw it into. So iv changed the main bottom arm bush so only the other one left and ball joint might be the culprit.
It has to be suspension related but have had loads of problems before when garages not screwing the inner arch back on tidy and also the undertray.
So hopefully a easy fix
Plus can here a little clonk clonk from back end over small bumps in road so think that might be rear anti roll bar bushes as drop links are tight no movement.

Hopefully iv diagnosed rite
Anyone got any other ideas
Thanks for all the advice guys

djandyk
200BHP+
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Post by djandyk »

could be the suspension arm bushes on the back of the front arms as there probe to failing

Chris017
Twin Turbo poster

Post by Chris017 »

Bought new front ball joints and rear pads and rear anti roll bar bushes weekend but not had time to fit them. Seen my mechanic weekend passed him on the road so had a chat and he said that he's had same problem many times on Audi A3 diesels and it's always been the driveshaft to blame well cv joint but he said it's better and easier to change to shaft itself as you know everything is fine then.
So My misses is picking up passenger side driveshaft for me today as I'm in work so hopefully it will be that if not god knows lol

Shippo
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Shippo »

Bud

Solid flywheel conversion could cause this problem, if it is of poor quality, incorrectly fitted or the incorrect part. Don't mix part manufactures as well this can cause problems too tick with either LUK or Sachs.

Stick with a DMF costly but a lot better.
Chris017
Twin Turbo poster

Post by Chris017 »

Well the problem is fixed with a new passenger driveshaft today. Q drive brand from Euro car parts. Can honestly say it's heavy duty and nearly twice the thickness of the original one I pulled off. The cv joint was toast was floppy as hell lol wouldn't stay straight.
The power output now is way different than before and the van feels smoother.
Did notice that the coupler where the driveshaft sits inside of the side of the gearbox is loose, I know it spins free but feels notchy so think that's down to the clutch.
Still have a slight very slight vibration but might be tyres or clutch.
Regarding the slipping clutch I will be removing the single mass and installing a dual mass as it's hard to find a single mass stage 1,2 or 3 clutch for some reason without the company making it with a no return policy as I have found out. So easy to get a stage 1 or 2 clutch for dual mass that come with the upgraded clutch plate so that will be this week job.
I can't find tidy price ones online so will have to look on eBay.

shanky887614
Hyper Poster

Re: RE: Re: Steering wheel shaking over 60mph

Post by shanky887614 »

Chris017 wrote:Ye just got off the phone to my mate and he's a boy racer in a kitted connect ha ha and said the same could be drive shaft. Easy repair if it is.
Euro car parts passenger side is £88.99 or £62.29 with discount and driver side £139.99 include surcharge of £71.99 or £169.98 discount.

Go on ebay mate, i got a pair for under £100 new

Chris017
Twin Turbo poster

Post by Chris017 »

Well I ended up paying £68 for the passenger side from Euro car parts but it came with all new bolts also. On eBay it was £50 so only paid a little extra plus I can take it back if any problems.
Is this something that you change as a pair of not as haven't changed driveshaft in years.

Maca0711
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Maca0711 »

is this on a mk3
peely
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by peely »

Just an idea chuck the fronts on the back , maybe you already done it , are you sure it ain’t the back , maybe 👍
Golf mk6 seats,Touran rear seats,carpet,console,2017 caddy life mfsw,Audi s3air vents, passsat w8 interior light, golf mk6gttdi wheels,rear barn door spoiler , rns 510 head unit , revers camera,boarded and carpeted rear with led strip lights, mk4 rear lights .