ex BG Caddy Battery Isolator

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
ICECADDY
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Re: ex BG Caddy Battery Isolator

Post by ICECADDY »

Hi guys

I am wondering if anyone of you knows where the wiring for input DC adapter is terminated on a 10 plate ex BG as I can't seam to find where it is done was thinking of using the line to power a Amplifier for a subwoofer if its up for the job

Cheers Flo
DinoBino68
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by DinoBino68 »

Doc wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:34 am Why not just do away with the unnecessary joint and extra cable and just put the battery cable back where it should be on the front of the engine bay fuse box?
Thats exactly what I've just done as well as remove the all the aerial wires and the handsfree phone thing (all of which were cut and useless any way)
Cheeres for indicating that this will work.

Now to work out the best place for wiring the leaisure battery circuit.

Dean
Rather be cruising in my Caddy
VW Caddy Maxi British Gas Blue C20 Startline BMT 1.6 TDI
MobyBlue
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by MobyBlue »

Hello!

New to the forum, converting my ex bg 2013 Caddy to a self-built camper. I'm umming and aahing over this impact isolator. I've got a split charge kit to install along with my leisure battery. I wondered if any of you legends who have removed your isolators had any pics of the wiring from battery to fuse box once the isolator wiring has been removed?

Thanks guys,
29guitarman
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by 29guitarman »

Just had a similar issue. I've owned the van for over 2 years and never had an isolator issue, but yesterday i stripped all the old wiring out, had the doors open and radio on for no more than 1 hour. I turned the radio off at some point, considering the battery, and carried on with stripping and insulating the van. After i finished went to lock the van and I had absolutely no power.
Tried to reset the isolator multiple times with nothing.
Battery voltage was at 12.5, so maybe this was slightly under the isolators trip point?
Couldn't reset the isolator, so i just removed it and moved both positive straps to the single point after removing the relay.
I was putting off removing the isolator for ages, and after 5 mins of simple removal, i dont know what i was waiting for!
Oh and van started first time after!
Serge
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Serge »

I am not technical. Can anyone explain in simple terms how to remove isolator? Thank you.
Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Post by Doc »

The isolator is in essence an electronic switch placed between your battery and the main fuse terminal on the front of the engine bay fuse panel.
The isolator I've seen are very easy to remove.
Firstly remove the positive battery terminal, follow the wire to the isolator and remove from there. Now follow the wire from the isolator to the engine bay fuse panel front rail and remove from both. Fit the wire first removed from the isolator to the engine bay fuse panel front rail. Lastly, refit the battery terminal.

Post up a few photos of your isolator and wiring to confirm it is the same as those I have had experience with.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
Serge
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Serge »

Thank you.
Stubbs
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Stubbs »

Thanks for the info all - had similar and thought it was an intermittent gremlin.

Sounds like the isolator is easy to remove so will definitely get on with that 👍👍👍
DavyD123
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by DavyD123 »

Doc wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:36 pm The isolator is in essence an electronic switch placed between your battery and the main fuse terminal on the front of the engine bay fuse panel.
The isolator I've seen are very easy to remove.
Firstly remove the positive battery terminal, follow the wire to the isolator and remove from there. Now follow the wire from the isolator to the engine bay fuse panel front rail and remove from both. Fit the wire first removed from the isolator to the engine bay fuse panel front rail. Lastly, refit the battery terminal.

Post up a few photos of your isolator and wiring to confirm it is the same as those I have had experience with.

Hi mate just connected my leisure battery and when I switch my manual isolator on to charge the leasuire battery, from my main battery when the alternator is on it shows 12v and when I switch it off and check the voltage coming in it's giving 14v but as soon as they are linked it goes to 12v any ideas
Vivg
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.8 20V Turbo

Post by Vivg »

Has anybody had this happen?????
My late husband bought my ex BG Caddy 6 years ago and I’ve been very happy with it until lately. Not being at all savvy I’ve only just found out about the battery isolator because I tried to start her one morning and she was dead. It was the AA mechanic that explained what that box next to my battery was. 🙄
He unplugged it and the van started straight away. I was at my caravan when this happened and he told me to go to my garage when I returned home to get it removed as I didn’t really need it.
The auto electrician at the garage said it didn’t need removing so he just taped up the connections with masking tape to keep moisture out.
Everything seemed fine for a few days but now something really weird is happening.
For no apparent reason my radio is turning on without me even in the van!!
Even turning the radio off before locking her up doesn’t help, it has still happened. Luckily I was only away for a few minutes but it’s weird hearing the radio playing when I’m walking back to my van.
There’s a buzzing noise that happens just before the radio comes on and an “ERROR” warning in the radio window.
This never happened when the isolator was connected, it’s just started happening since it’s been disconnected.
I’m really worried that it could do this during the night and the battery will be completely flat in the morning. So far, fingers crossed this hasn’t happened! 🤞
I know it sounds completely daft but has anyone any idea what the hell is going on???
TIA.