ex BG Caddy Battery Isolator

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Padster
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (84bhp)

Re: ex BG Caddy Battery Isolator

Post by Padster »

Dose the key turn in the lock ? :D
Celticrsmith
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.8 20V Turbo

Post by Celticrsmith »

Padster wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:12 pm Dose the key turn in the lock ? :D
No :cry: :cry: :cry:
Celticrsmith
Hyper Poster

Post by Celticrsmith »

Back on topic....my door was open for about 4 mins and the battery died. I obviously knew it was the isolater but what a pain! Being a van, my side doors are gonna be open for lengths of time (loading/unloading), what does everyone else do? Is it a case of just removing it?
dopeytree
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by dopeytree »

Hmm mine worked fine.. but I took it out anyway as I have no need for it. And all the chopped wiring & fuse box behind the glovebox.

I'm now running a leirsure battery charged by a voltage density relay installed in the rear passenger footwell.

Is it activating because the radio is on? After ignition switch off? Mines 2011 and it automatically cuts all power to the headlights regardless of switch position when you pull the key... so it'd be hard to run the battery down anyway?
2011 1.6 TDI - ex british gas caddy maxi http://caddy2k.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=30795

Mk4 rear lights, Auto headlights, Passat w8 interior leds, 18" supermetal bullets, Polo MFSW, Touran doorcards exit lights, carpet sports seats & storage bases. VanX glovebox, Audi air vents, Sirus rear seat conversion, Privacy rear windows, RCD 330 CarPlay, Speakerupgrade underseat sub, Leisure battery, 3000w inverter.
Garrigle
Caddy Fan

Post by Garrigle »

I have a 2011 also and am curious if this happens. Had the doors open for a good hour or so and mine never cut out. Looking into a leisure battery install once I start my rear camp conversion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Celticrsmith
Hyper Poster

Post by Celticrsmith »

Lucky you lot! So the interior lights are v bright, originals from the bg van set up I think, but when it cut out, I have to unlock the door manually, pop the bonnet and press reset. Touch wood it's fine for now but don't fancy doing it on the frosty mornings to come. Can It just be removed?
dopeytree
100BHP+

Post by dopeytree »

Doesn't sound right.. maybe get your battery checked out?
You could just undo the bolts and put the wiring onto one bolt to make the wiring skip the relay cutout? It's the box thing above the fuse box with a power cable each side of it.
2011 1.6 TDI - ex british gas caddy maxi http://caddy2k.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=30795

Mk4 rear lights, Auto headlights, Passat w8 interior leds, 18" supermetal bullets, Polo MFSW, Touran doorcards exit lights, carpet sports seats & storage bases. VanX glovebox, Audi air vents, Sirus rear seat conversion, Privacy rear windows, RCD 330 CarPlay, Speakerupgrade underseat sub, Leisure battery, 3000w inverter.
Ben87Avant
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Ben87Avant »

As above, just swap the wires over to one side of the relay, this will "bypass" the isolator and keep it all running.
I've worked n a few of the bg vans, we were getting sent out to change the relay module and terminals as they were getting very corroded and causing issues with the system. Some we simply cleaned up and applied white lithium grease, others swapped out for new units and greased.
It may be worth checking, as a few i went out to were having battery drain issues and this was down to the relay being corroded and bridging contacts
Celticrsmith
Hyper Poster

Post by Celticrsmith »

Ah, cool. I'll look into that. I'm not very technical minded though.
Steveo666
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Steveo666 »

I have a BG van as well,

I'm wondering if I can remove the isolator all together?
Steveo666
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Steveo666 »

I've also got a battery isolator(ex BG)
I'm wondering if it's worth removing altogether?
dopeytree
100BHP+

Post by dopeytree »

My caddys at the garage today but basically to disconnect the isolator you just pull the plastic off & undo the screws then use a spanner/wrench set to undo the bolts then connect them onto 1 post instead of the 2. So your bypassing the relay. Here's a photo to explain. Its really easy & quick.
IMG_0827b.jpg

Steveo666
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Steveo666 »

That's perfect, Thanks for the photo.
Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Post by Doc »

Why not just do away with the unnecessary joint and extra cable and just put the battery cable back where it should be on the front of the engine bay fuse box?
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
Throttle
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Throttle »

Hi
I’m trying to help my mate sort his electrical problems on his ex bg caddy (2010), but there’s a Impact g isolator on it which keeps flashing battery isolated ( tried resetting it and battery lead off for a while ) every so often it’ll clunk and light stays a solid red but soon after it clunks and flashes again....

I’ve tried joining 1 and 2 to try to take it out of the system yet no luck but I’ve got the wire with yellow arrow which I’m assuming is oem ? And guessing that needs plugging in somewhere unknown to me.

The fault on van was windows wouldn’t work, dash lights don’t come on and it wouldn’t even try to start, it has had work on gearbox recently so if they’ve disturbed something might be a possibility.

Link to photo assuming doesn’t appear here.
https://www.flickr.com/gp/throttleuk/975ip2