British gas vans

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
leedoherty
Caddy2k Groupie

British gas vans

Post by leedoherty »

I am currently looking to buy a caddy maxi and see there are loads of ex British gas vans on the market
Is there any reason not to buy one ? They seem pretty low mileage service history etc
Padster
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (84bhp)

Re: British gas vans

Post by Padster »

Hi I’ve got one great vans just make sure if it hasn’t had the injectors changed that you have a good warranty with it at over £500 a pop that’s £2000 out of your back pocket ( if you’re getting the 1.6 tdi ) I bought mine with 16000 miles on it have done 4000 and so far broke down twice and changed two injectors. Wish I went for the extra two year warranty now. But apart from that love the van can’t knock it good size ok on fuel has all the bits like a/c etc hope this helps 🙂
TDean122
Twin Turbo poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by TDean122 »

I've had mine almost 2 years now and done around 25k with it bought it at 137 k on the clocks and it's been amazing have had 2 clutch master cylinders go but I believe it went a second time due to a cheapo replacement. Other than that a few maintenance parts and it's been great just remember they are limited to 70mph
leedoherty
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by leedoherty »

Thanks a lot for the info didn't realise the injectors where so expensive will look at a warranty
s_j700
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by s_j700 »

Hi
I bought mine back in April. Its been fantastic! Clutch was on its way out when i bought it, had the clutch changed soon as i got the cost off the purchase price.
Hasn't steered me wrong so far bought it at 75K and started the camper conversion this month
2011 Caddy Maxi / Ex-British Gas / Camper convertion
xfinity
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by xfinity »

Yea, i've just been quoted £60 + VAT for my speed limiter removal, so factor that in. The first garage I looked at said they weren't able to give me an info on the service history but that it was British Gas service history so it must be great. Second garage (where i bought my van from) was able to just ring up their contact at BG and get a print out of its service history, so my experience is don't listen to garages that tell you they can't give you back up.

Apart form that have only just bought it so can only tell you i've had no issues at all so far.
gee101a
200BHP+

Post by gee101a »

Xfinity, do you or could you get a number or email address of the contact for the British Gas history?
I got the speed limiter removed from mine by getting a stage 1 remap, was £300 but was going to get it done anyway.
xfinity
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by xfinity »

gee101a wrote:Xfinity, do you or could you get a number or email address of the contact for the British Gas history?
I got the speed limiter removed from mine by getting a stage 1 remap, was £300 but was going to get it done anyway.
I'll see the guy who sold me my van this evening so I'll see if I can pry the information out of him.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

gee101a
200BHP+

Post by gee101a »

Thanks for that, be good to see what service history it has, even though I did get it fully serviced soon as I got it.
xfinity
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by xfinity »

gee101a wrote:Thanks for that, be good to see what service history it has, even though I did get it fully serviced soon as I got it.
He said if I give him the Reg he'll request it for you.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

gee101a
200BHP+

Post by gee101a »

That would be great, really appreciate that. Reg is PF11KBZ
Thanks
Gee
xfinity
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by xfinity »

Just an update on what I posted above... went for the full remap when they removed the limiter and it's the best money i've spent. Very noticeable difference when you put your foot down.

p.s. Gee the guy's been off on holiday so should be able to get the info Monday.
gee101a
200BHP+

Post by gee101a »

Ok mate cheers.
Agree with you on the remap, totally different van. Did you go for the 140bhp?
xfinity
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by xfinity »

yea. Very happy with it. They said it does technically improve MPG but you're going to drive it like you stole it for a few weeks so don't expect to notice it till you get over that :lol:

I have your maintenance history. Can't PM it to you as I haven't posted enough to get the rights. Do you want me to just make a post in the maintenance section (I think only members can see that sections) with it in?
gee101a
200BHP+

Post by gee101a »

I'll be honest I don't think there is much difference in the mpg, I get around 500 maybe slightly more on a full tank, that's running with not much weight in it and 235 tyres. Not really sure how that compares to others but don't really think it was much different before the remap.
That's great about the history print out, my email is gee101a@sky.com if that's OK to send it?
Thanks
Gee