BLUE R needles on clocks

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
sheepy92
Twin Turbo poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

BLUE R needles on clocks

Post by sheepy92 »

Evening all could someone point me in the right direction on how to go about changing my red needles to the blue ones like those on an R spec

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Creation7t8
Caddy2k Groupie

Re: BLUE R needles on clocks

Post by Creation7t8 »

I’ve got blue needles in mine. Not too sure on how it’s been done as I only got it yesterday.
I’m sure he said they were golf gtd dials
Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Post by Doc »

To change to red needles to blue you need to source a set of blue needles and the necessary LEDs.
You then need to remove the needles and red LEDs and replace with blue.
Not a simple task unless you have the necessary tools. @Tommyzooom did his in green a few years ago.
A GTD instrument cluster has red needles and a red band around the outside of the large scales, fitting blue needles on them just looks a bit odd to me.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
sbyrne2012
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Post by sbyrne2012 »

make sure to turn the dial needles anticlockwise to remove them
Doc
Not God, just a bellend

Post by Doc »

I've never ever turned the needles to remove them, neither clockwise nor anti clockwise.
I have replaced stepper motors for people who have done tried the twist off method and blown the motor to bits.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
stan-the-man
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (74bhp)

Post by stan-the-man »

Doc did you ever manage to refit the needles so they “twitch” on ignition on? Hope that makes sense? I noticed that after removing them they don’t seem to do it after refitting. Just curious

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Doc
Not God, just a bellend

Post by Doc »

Yes, the stepper motors fall back to a position just slightly below where they start when ignition is turned on.

oliverbown
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by oliverbown »

Any advice on where to pick up some needles and a new speedo display?
Doc
Not God, just a bellend

Post by Doc »

There used to be a guy from Slovakia selling original blue needles on eBay, I've not looked for a while.
What wrong with your display? I'd suggest a full cluster swap rather than just fitting a display, there are a few different types that look the same. I don't think you'll often find the display for sale seperate to a full cluster anyway.

oliverbown
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by oliverbown »

Doc wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:24 am There used to be a guy from Slovakia selling original blue needles on eBay, I've not looked for a while.
What wrong with your display? I'd suggest a full cluster swap rather than just fitting a display, there are a few different types that look the same. I don't think you'll often find the display for sale seperate to a full cluster anyway.
I just wanted to change it so I could have a digital speedo also, as at present I’m unable to do so and it comes up with cruise control in KM/h not MP/h
Doc
Not God, just a bellend

Post by Doc »

A new display won't fix that, it sounds like someone has messed up your coding.

oliverbown
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by oliverbown »

Doc wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:34 pm A new display won't fix that, it sounds like someone has messed up your coding.
Ah brilliant, any tips on how I’d go about sorting it?
Doc
Not God, just a bellend

Post by Doc »

You'd need to post a scan showing your part number and coding for anyone to work out what's wrong.

oliverbown
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by oliverbown »

This sounds like it’s going to be a tricky job, thanks Doc see what I can conjure up!