Van bent blanking plate

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Vwbooth
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Van bent blanking plate

Post by Vwbooth » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:50 pm

I’ve got a caddy and it’s got a rotating van Vent on the roof I’ve had a quick look on google and can’t see a blanking plate has anyone got any ideas where I can get one or possibly a kit specifically for it fairly new to all this so not sure where to start looking ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Robert24
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (75bhp)

Re: Van bent blanking plate

Post by Robert24 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:27 pm

Vwbooth wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:50 pm
I’ve got a caddy and it’s got a rotating van Vent on the roof I’ve had a quick look on google and can’t see a blanking plate has anyone got any ideas where I can get one or possibly a kit specifically for it fairly new to all this so not sure where to start looking ?

Hi, had this same problem on an old works van a couple of years ago, all I done was to remove old unit take it to my local metal fabrications let the use it as a template to make up a blanking plate, sealed it back down to the roof using silicone sealer and reused original fixing bolts to secure.
Job done
Have a beer :D :D

Vwbooth
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by Vwbooth » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:14 am

That’s not a bad idea mate at first I thought it was on the ribs in the roof but at closer inspection it’s not even close so that seems to be a good idea do you reckon it’s worth riveting it aswell or do you think that would be over kill ?

Robert24
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (75bhp)

Post by Robert24 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:19 pm

Hi,
It's difficult to say with out looking at it, personally I'd use a decent silicone sealer and reuse the original bolts and bolt holes.

I personally have never had a lot of luck with pop rivets in this application as more often than not the centres can go porous :(

Best of luck

Robert