New member with injector issues!

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
whirld1
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

New member with injector issues!

Post by whirld1 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:07 am

Hi all, new member here!
Bought an 2011 1.6tdi maxi kombi with 103k, very happy with it loads of potential for a day van/small camper for myself but still useful with the 5 seats for kids.

Had the caddy for less than 48hrs before a limp mode on the motorway disaster. Was hoping I'd avoid the injector issues but no such luck for me.

Injector 1 has gone, caddy currently sat at the garage waiting for warranty wise to give the go ahead to have it replaced. I have a three month warranty with the sale, hopefully all 4 injectors go down and the warranty can pick up the bill.

Is it worth changing the other injectors before they fail for peace of mind? Expensive I know but need a reliable motor.

Thanks for any help, please excuse the first long post.
Dan.

Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Re: New member with injector issues!

Post by Doc » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:20 am

Hi Dan, welcome to the forum.

the injector failure does seem to hit a lot of people but as a percentage it's quite small. Not everyone has had more than one fail and when you consider the amount to cars with the 1.6TDI engine and each with 4 injectors its a lot of them out there.
If it were me, I don't know how mechanically competent you are, I'd carry a spare injector, seals, bolt and tools and be prepared to swap one out at the roadside. Changing all 4 might give you piece of mind but it may be false economy as the remaining 3 might never cause you a problem.
2013 1.6TDI, Superplus Wheels MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, 2016 Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, TRC front splitter, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, mk6 GTI Front & rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, 2016 MIB head unit

I have genuine VCDS Hex V2, VagCAN Pro, KESS, K-Tag for any of your programming needs.

whirld1
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by whirld1 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:50 am

Thanks for the welcome Doc, I'd probably be ok with an injector change but you just don't know when there going to go. Will see how it fares within the warranty and start saving up!

Was hoping first upgrades would front speakers and roof rails but nevermind.

whirld1
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by whirld1 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:24 pm

Warrantywise are picking up the tab so hopefully getting the caddy back soon.
Anybody any recommendations for front speakers, looking just for door speakers to begin with, nothing fancy. I have the rcd510 headunit do I need it recoding to put rear speakers in and have the fader work?
Again thanks for any info, Dan.

Outdoor Hominid
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Outdoor Hominid » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:10 pm

Do you know if you have replaced all 4 injectors, if the issue goes away?

Isi it a dodgy injector or is there a design fault after the emissions fix?