Bluespark timing box for 1.6tdi 102ps

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Jack-o
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Jack-o »

So after a lot of reading I decided on the bluespark. Haven’t installed yet but I’d like to know folks experience with this box.

I also just purchased this 2018 swb 1.6tdi with 7 speed dsg and bluemotion. It’s was new off the lot here in Fiji with 75km on it it think?

My main issue with the caddy I have is that from a dead stop I get no response from the throttle for about 1.5 full seconds after I push it. Drives me insane.

Currently there’s a big power hit at 2100-2200 rpm but not much below. I’d like to add some lower rpm power. Any suggestions on map settings?

What are experiences with bluespark?

Any idea what causes that delay on take off? How might I fix it without a remap?

Thanks for your help!!
RKDesigns
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Post by RKDesigns »

Never mount a tuning box, much better is custom remapping on the ecu. Have had a 1.6 TDI before which was much better responding after custom remapping than a 2.0 TDI from factory with 140hp! Offcourse the 2.0 TDI 140hp went as Well for custom remapping that drives superb as well.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
Last edited by RKDesigns on Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
totty79
200BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Re: Bluespark timing box for 1.6tdi 102ps

Post by totty79 »

Is the lack of response definitely from dead stop? Have you tried selecting S instead of D?

I get an occasional lack of response if moving slowly. The cause seems to be bad timing of when it shifts to 2nd and presumably thinks 3rd will be next, if you try to accelerate too hard there's a delay as it makes a slower than normal shift to 1st. I've made a habit of selecting S or using manual/paddles at busy junctions as this keeps it in 1st.

Sorry, no experience with tuning boxes.
Jack-o
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Jack-o »

Totty

It does seem a bit worse in D but still does it in S and manual select.

I hear you on the rolling delays due to shifting but it’s not that.

To me it feels almost like a delay in the clutch engaging but it’s more than that.

I test drove 2-3 of the same model and all the 1.6 dsg had this delay. I kinda think maybe it was a bluemotion fuel saving thing(before you ask this is with the start stop turned off). If I take my foot off the brake 1 second before I want to move it seems to go normally.

As for power this my be partly a turbo lag thing but it feels more like a transmission thing.

As for a map vs a tuning box I appreciate the tip but remap is not an option as it’s only got 1000km on it, it’s still under “warranty” and I’m in Fiji so I’d have to buy all the stuff and do it myself with no dyno.... so. Yeah.
RKDesigns
Hyper Poster

Post by RKDesigns »

If it’s a DSG the box has no sense, the dsg has files as Well which they normally change as Well when the gears have to be changed. The box only creates extra power but does nothing with the dag information. In general a tuning box Will give trouble later on, extra costs for repairs. Reason is simple... it doesn’t belong there.

totty79
200BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by totty79 »

"If I take my foot off the brake 1 second before I want to move it seems to go normally."

That sentence makes me wonder if it's related to hill hold assist.
I think they may briefly hold the brakes on, and I think this can be set to different levels.
RKDesigns
Hyper Poster

Post by RKDesigns »

Without the tuning box it is all written in the mappings correctly responding to each other. The tuningbox fools it, so you always Will get a delay before the box sends the information Whats on there to the engine. Delete the delay by disconnecting the tuning box. Thats just junk, if you want to keep your car driving for a long time do not use this kind of boxes.

When the ecu got remapped mappings on it there is no delay at all.

Jack-o
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Jack-o »

The delay is there stock. Haven’t even installed the box yet!!

Good thought on hill hold. That could be it but it seems to do it on the flat too.

He
RKDesigns
Hyper Poster

Post by RKDesigns »

Then keep the box out, Will even become worse. Go to the dealer and try to get it solved.

Jack-o
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Jack-o »

Ok took it to the dealer and had them do the 1000km check and diagnostic for this issue.

They say it’s normal.

Best I can figure is that it’s the clutch engagement delay when I push hard on the pedal. Guess I’ll have to get used to it.

Today I installed the Bluespark box. As of now it doesn’t feel like it’s doing anything at all. Tried different maps and settings with no discernible difference to my butt dyno. It’s definitely not worse feeling tho.

I’ll give it a few days to settle in and clear any errors and report back.
Jack-o
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Jack-o »

Thought I should post an update for folks interested in the Bluespark boxes.

After some messing around with settings in all the map options I settled on e8. Which is one step down from the highest setting of the highest map. At no point did I get any errors or lights because of settings.

The best way to describe the effect it has is this: I get more power at rpms above 3000 and it holds power longer. I can detect almost no difference in low end power at any settings. It’s really most noticeably different at 4000+ rpm where the stock settings run out of power.

In the A and B maps it really only seemed to pull power out of the high end where the E map added power to the high end.

All in all I think it was worth it. It’s not a huge game changer but for highway use it would be useful. For around town use it’s minimally useful.

From here I think a torqamp electric supercharger might be useful to get rid of my turbo lag and add bunches of power across the range with some TPS tuning on its control box. Ol Cleetus McFarland saw a 123hp to 157hp gain on a 2.2l petrol engine when they did a half assed install.