Headlight Conversion

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Stedlocks
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Re: Headlight Conversion

Post by Stedlocks » Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:45 pm

I found out they were in my home town by accident, so I went down there (in the fire engine👍) to see what the set up was.....it turns out a Good mate of mine works there, so I got to get a Good snout around!
The owner, elliot, introduced himself as well, and he is genuinely interested in getting enthusiasts, like ourselves, good quality aftermarket/custom parts, for a fair price..... Sure, he's not doing it for love, he's a business after all, employing quite a few people who are all enthusiastic about working there.....whenever I pop down, I'm always made to feel welcome and people want to talk about the caddy.
When I was there a few weeks back, a different bloke said 'oh, we've just had another prototype in...do you want a look?'
So, we went through to where they were still in the box and he got them out......now, I'm not taking credit, but I did say they'd look better with less shiny stuff......the new ones don't have as much ;) :lol:
Then I had a quick chat with the bloke who strips all the electrical stuff down, checks it all so it works as it should, and makes improvements if needed.....as far as im aware, he does that for everything.

So, I have no affiliation with them, other than I think they are a Good local firm, with a decent moral compass......its not often you can say that, is it?!

gazza31112
Twin Turbo poster

Post by gazza31112 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:15 pm

They are very good looking lights!! Wish they were MK4

Sent from my J8210 using Tapatalk

caddychris2002
200BHP+

Post by caddychris2002 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:57 am

Woe these are nice and for the money they sound decent... wonder if the Mrs will go ape sh#$ if i use some of the wedding money???

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

gazza31112
Twin Turbo poster

Post by gazza31112 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:37 am

@caddychris2002 I don't think she would mind mate..... Anyway it's for safety reasons

Sent from my J8210 using Tapatalk

Josh764
Caddy Fan

Post by Josh764 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:18 am

@DeanWhit I'm so tempted by these also,, not sure I'd sneak them past the missile.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Cabbs
100BHP+

Post by Cabbs » Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:40 pm

Get your pictures up chaps when youve fitted them. Im tempted to buy a pair.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

kully12
100BHP+

Post by kully12 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:43 pm

The other day I went over with my friend to Travelinlite, in Bishops Shortford.

Spoke to Elliot, top guy, was guiding me and my friend with all sorts and very supportive and helpful, gave us a lot of time.

Speak to Elliot!

My van is white
My friends is black

This is the out come:

-Their new DRL headlights
With their LED dipped beam bulbs
-Got their Dynamic indicators aswell (smoked is also available, but didn't think it suited the van!)
Had to put resistors between the 2 wires on the vans side to stop the indicator fault and fast indicator flashes on the dash - on both sides of the vehicle - which they provided
-Their LED fog light bulbs , very bright and very good!
-They even sorted me out with their interior bulbs for the W8 light, I have yet to solder the ambient lighting cable..) my current interior bulbs smelt of burning, these are perfect
-Got some rear licence plate bulbs aswell which I am yet to fit aswell

If you organise it with them, Elliot will get his neighbour mechanics to fit the lights for you and fog light bulbs if you have them.

Well worth the travel to get them fitted immediately and working.

These are the best lights I have found and have waited for them since last year, from when they popped up on the forum. Much better than the dots.

They install LED dipped beam bulbs for me aswell.

One work in progress feature, the DRLs are intermittent when the dipped beams
They are working on fixing this, but have explained to me that the caddy oem lights don't have the DRL light on when the main dipped beams are switch..which is why they are working on a loom to keep the DRL lights always on.
Look at my last 2 pictures of the headlights to see what I mean. I have currently not found a pattern on why they don't work straight away.

Also they are working on getting LED bulbs in soon for the FULL beams, which I look forward to.
Which is a different bulb!

I asked whether we can put HID bulbs in, he said NO, there are many cheap kits out there and are likely to burn the headlight.

I am not here to slag, just be up front and honest. None the less I am very happy with them! Try go visit them if possible will be well worth it.

Any other questions I am happy to help.ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Post by Doc » Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:52 pm

No headlights have DRL on along with low beam.
Daytime Running Lights are just that and having them on with low beam is wrong, low beam should be accompanied by side light only.
As standard your caddy has a dual filament 21/5w lamp for DRL and side light.
I'm guessing the Travlinlite headlights are flagging up an error with the sidelight function if they are not reducing from 21W to a 5W load when switching from DRL to side light.
I really like the look of these lights but it seems there has been some oversight which only makes me worry about what else might go wrong after you have a few hundred hours on them. It's a shame really, I had made my mind up on having a set of these until reading if this problem.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

I have genuine VCDS Hex V2 & VagCAN Pro for any of your programming needs.

the swan fiend
Hyper Poster

Post by the swan fiend » Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:59 pm

I love the look of these lights....I really think they add something to the van, but.......I fear that if the LED section ever needs replacing, it’ll be very expensive to fix. I know the same can be said for a lot of modern vehicles, but at least with the standard lights, a bulb can be replaced easily and cheaply.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rescue me from the swans in me

r1lea
Hyper Poster

Headlight Conversion

Post by r1lea » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:01 pm

Doc. Isn’t the dimming of the drl with dipped beam is done by coding, when coded for DRLS etc the cem produces the dual voltage

Last edited by r1lea on Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kully12
100BHP+

Post by kully12 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:01 pm

Doc wrote:No headlights have DRL on along with low beam.
Daytime Running Lights are just that and having them on with low beam is wrong, low beam should be accompanied by side light only.
As standard your caddy has a dual filament 21/5w lamp for DRL and side light.
I'm guessing the Travlinlite headlights are flagging up an error with the sidelight function if they are not reducing from 21W to a 5W load when switching from DRL to side light.
I really like the look of these lights but it seems there has been some oversight which only makes me worry about what else might go wrong after you have a few hundred hours on them. It's a shame really, I had made my mind up on having a set of these until reading if this problem.
No errors on VCDS other than the indicators I found.

Also, I thought it was normal to having the DRLs on with the dipped beams? Like you see on the r8 for example, with the signature drl light bar

kully12
100BHP+

Post by kully12 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:03 pm

the swan fiend wrote:I love the look of these lights....I really think they add something to the van, but.......I fear that if the LED section ever needs replacing, it’ll be very expensive to fix. I know the same can be said for a lot of modern vehicles, but at least with the standard lights, a bulb can be replaced easily and cheaply.

All bulbs are replaceable I.e. dipped beams, main beams bulb
Apart from the drl and dynamic indicator

On mine the dipped beam was changed for a led, for free pretty much from them

kully12
100BHP+

Post by kully12 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:05 pm

r1lea wrote:Doc. Isn’t the dimming of the drl with dipped beam is done by coding, when coded for DRLS etc the cem produces the dual voltage

@r1lea could you direct me where so I can try and post my feedback

Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Post by Doc » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:09 pm

On the 2010-2015 caddy, the DRL and side light are seperate filaments driven off of different outputs from the body control module into different pins on the headlights. There is no "dimming" of the DRL as such, it merely switches from the 21W DRL to the 5W side light.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

I have genuine VCDS Hex V2 & VagCAN Pro for any of your programming needs.

kully12
100BHP+

Post by kully12 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:10 pm

Just to clarify the side lights, turns on DRL and rear lights as expected

The OFF button, keeps DRL on when you turn the ignition ON as your day time running lights.

IN the side lights position, if you turn the fogs ON the DRLs dim slightly
Last edited by kully12 on Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.