Should I sell it?

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Olliekins
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (74bhp)

Should I sell it?

Post by Olliekins »

Gedday! I own a 2006 (2007 delivered) Caddy Life Camper 1.9l TDI. It has 260,000kms on the clock.
The engine etc. seems fine, and no other mechanical issues. Never been in any sort of bingle. No problems with the electric sunroof.
I have had the car properly serviced since new, and never had any major problems. I have never used the Camper elements-bed, rear door annex, table and chairs etc.
I am now retired and have to watch my expenses.
Should I expect many more km’s from this great Diesel engine?
If the engine needs restoration soon, is it still worth doing, or should I sell the old girl?
I don’t think that there are many Caddy Life Campers in Australia, and even though it is the short wheelbase, it would probably be easy to sell.
I have never owned a diesel powered car before, and don’t know what to expect.
My preference would be to keep it - great car and reliable.
the swan fiend
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Re: Should I sell it?

Post by the swan fiend »

Hi mate. I’d be tempted to keep it if it has given you no trouble so far. It sounds like you’ve looked after it and if it hasn’t been driven hard, and the correct servicing has been carried out with quality oils etc, I’d say you’ll get a good few miles out of the engine yet. If you’re now retired, maybe you may do less kilometres as you’re not commuting?

The advantage you have is that although it’s done 260000km, you know the history of those kilometres and in my opinion, that’s worth a lot in terms of piece of mind.
As a final thought, the worst car I ever owned in terms of reliability was the only one I bought brand new!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rescue me from the swans in me
Olliekins
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Olliekins »

Thanks for that. I have had many cars over the years, but this one has been the best. It’s not fashionable and hasn’t got all the bells and whistles, but it has been ultra reliable. I am 6’7” tall and the headroom and legroom are the best of all cars that I have had.
Cheers
Jeebo
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 16V Petrol (100bhp)

Post by Jeebo »

My understanding is, that these caddys are super reliable. Ive got a 2005 1.6 petrol with 407000km on the clock. Had the gearbox redone but the motor still sounds good. I drive on average 300km a day with the caddy and she does not skip a beat
Winst
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (138bhp)

Post by Winst »

Olliekins

I agree with swan fiend mate, I would keep it, you can’t put a price on knowing the history of a vehicle, and sounds like you’ve really looked after it.
Looked after properly and it should have many a thousand miles left in it yet, and if it doesn’t have all the bells and whistles that can be sorted, retrofitting is addictive.

2011 2.0tdi Full 2018 front and rear ends fitted, airlift 3P suspension, 20" alloys, modified Porsche calipers front and rear with R8 handbrake caliper, Audi RS4 wingbacks, covered in nappa leather and alcantara, Touran dash, door cards, centre console all trimmed in leather and alcantara, MFSW, 3D cluster, Rockford fosgate and focal sounds with MIB2, bi xenons, full alltrack kit fitted, etc etc:D
Instagram @2kwayne
Olliekins
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Olliekins »

Jeebo wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:31 pm My understanding is, that these caddys are super reliable. Ive got a 2005 1.6 petrol with 407000km on the clock. Had the gearbox redone but the motor still sounds good. I drive on average 300km a day with the caddy and she does not skip a beat
Bloody hell, 407,000km is massive for the smaller petrol engine jeebo!
Olliekins
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Olliekins »

Winst wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:49 am Olliekins

I agree with swan fiend mate, I would keep it, you can’t put a price on knowing the history of a vehicle, and sounds like you’ve really looked after it.
Looked after properly and it should have many a thousand miles left in it yetImage, and if it doesn’t have all the bells and whistles that can be sortedImage, retrofitting is addictive. Image

Thanks Winst. Looks like you are an addict! What a van you’ve got!
Winst
Hyper Poster

Post by Winst »

Yes the caddy bug has had a hold of me for sometime now, I have a 2011 caddy with a 2.0tdi

2011 2.0tdi Full 2018 front and rear ends fitted, airlift 3P suspension, 20" alloys, modified Porsche calipers front and rear with R8 handbrake caliper, Audi RS4 wingbacks, covered in nappa leather and alcantara, Touran dash, door cards, centre console all trimmed in leather and alcantara, MFSW, 3D cluster, Rockford fosgate and focal sounds with MIB2, bi xenons, full alltrack kit fitted, etc etc:D
Instagram @2kwayne
SnoWhite
Twin Turbo poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Post by SnoWhite »

Only you can decide!

But if your post is basically asking about how reliable the 1.9tdi is I can offer some insight as I had a PD130 4motion Golf estate with well over 240,000 km on it by the time we sold it, and I know it is still going strong several years later. The only reason I sold it was to fund the purchase of its bigger brother a Caddy Maxi 4Motion which meant we could finally carry a couple of motorbikes inside the Caddy to events around Europe, rather than dragging a trailer which attracts bigger fees on toll roads, lower permitted trailer speed limits and much worse fuel consumption.

So rather than focusing on longevity, I would focus on how well the Caddy suits your future needs. If it does everything you want, then why not keep it? If not, work out what you really do need from a vehicle, and hopefully your Caddy will cover some of the cost of a replacement.

The secret to vehicle longevity is basically down to regular servicing, and quality fuel. If you are based in Australia I guess the generally dry weather means the bodyshell may outlast the planet. Regardless of which vehicle you choose going forward, remember you will still be paying out for wear and tear stuff for that vehicle whenever the need arises.

Finally over in Europe there are plenty of TDI taxis coming up for sale at well over 600,000km - so I would not be stressed by the Km you have done so far.

I hope that helps and please let us know what you eventually decide to do.

SnoWhite
Stedlocks
Hyper Poster

Post by Stedlocks »

Winst wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:33 pm Yes the caddy bug has had a hold of me for sometime now, I have a 2011 caddy with a 2.0tdi

Best. Understatement. Ever! :D
Winst
Hyper Poster

Should I sell it?

Post by Winst »

@stedlocks

Instagram @2kwayne
Stedlocks
Hyper Poster

Post by Stedlocks »

:lol: