VCDS or OBDEleven

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Mod3008
Caddy2k Groupie

VCDS or OBDEleven

Post by Mod3008 »

Evening guys,

Can anyone recommend one above the other. I only intend on doing work to my van and car. OBDEleven software looks more user friendly. I am aware you have to buy credits for it but this option still seems cheaper than purchasing VCDS.

I am also wary of the level of knowledge required to successfully operate VCDS. Have had warnings about people making irreversible coding errors or mistakes. I would be be cautious but am afraid of the process of long coding.
Katiecaddy
200BHP+

Re: VCDS or OBDEleven

Post by Katiecaddy »

My honest advice if you’ve no experience with the coding is to leave it to the experts. As you say you could end up causing changes and a whole host of problems.
Peli
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (75bhp)

Post by Peli »

I personally have VCDS and before I had experience with coding. Sure you can destroy a lot, but if you pay attention it is not too bad. Before you change a code, you can take a photo or make a auto-scan and then you can always go back.
ViralEye
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Post by ViralEye »

I had no experience of coding, went with obdeleven and so far managed to code in;
Heated seats
Cruise control
MFD stalk
Needle sweep
Disable seat belt warning

It also helped me find out that VW forgot to plug some sensors back in after carrying out fine engine work

The other day on a friend's Touran I;
Activated one touch unlock
US indicator lights
Disable seat belt warning

With my caddy 4 there wasn't a single 1 click option where you use credits so everything had to be done in adaptation, but it's all relatively straight forward

Sent from my ONEPLUS6 using Tapatalk

Mod3008
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Mod3008 »

Thanks for the responses. I will be using it for a Caddy 4 so may look into what adaptions are available to code in if there are no quick credit options
DUFFY
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by DUFFY »

Are there many quick options with obdeleven ?
ViralEye
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Post by ViralEye »

i think there was only like 3 quick apps, but didn't actually refer to anything on the van i.e. auxiliary heater. doing the adaptations is dead easy though
DUFFY
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by DUFFY »

Don't know if I'd trust myself doing the adaptation :?
totty79
200BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by totty79 »

I'd trust myself doing an adaption more than I'd trust the ODBeleven quick apps. There have been a small number of reports of some issues with the apps no correctly undoing changes that led to some on here advising against OBDeleven all together, I use it but I avoid the apps.
DUFFY
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by DUFFY »

totty79 wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:40 pm I'd trust myself doing an adaption more than I'd trust the ODBeleven quick apps. There have been a small number of reports of some issues with the apps no correctly undoing changes that led to some on here advising against OBDeleven all together, I use it but I avoid the apps.
Cheers that's good to know
Mainframex
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Mainframex »

I use vcds for many years, i can prefer that.
NZDubNurd
Hyper Poster

Post by NZDubNurd »

VCDS has support.

OBDeleven people post somewhat regularly on the VCDS support forum, expecting help :lol:

If you want to get serious about anything, VCDS is probably the best "enthusiast" product.