Side bar vibrations

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Gedi1305
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Side bar vibrations

Post by Gedi1305 »

Hello
Just bought a caddy sportline that came with sidebars fitted, after driving it around ive noticed a fair bit of vibration noise coming from the side bars especially when setting off and when the van is under load. Also does the noise when the doors shut, just wondering if anyone has any ideas on ways to stop this or if its just a thing to live with if i have side bars on.
Thanks
DW2207
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Re: Side bar vibrations

Post by DW2207 »

Hi, are the side bars the long chrome ones fitted along the lower skirts? I have these too on my van and they are bolted to the underneath with m10 bolts, are these tight on your van?
Sorry to ask an obvious question but could be something trivial like this.
peely
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by peely »

Have you got sliding door rail covers ??
Golf mk6 seats,Touran rear seats,carpet,console,2017 caddy life mfsw,Audi s3air vents, passsat w8 interior light, golf mk6gttdi wheels,rear barn door spoiler , rns 510 head unit , revers camera,boarded and carpeted rear with led strip lights, mk4 rear lights .
DW2207
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Post by DW2207 »

Not yet mate, another modification I’ll be doing.

Are we talking about the same thing here out of interest?
peely
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by peely »

Sorry, just when he said it rattles when closing the door it’s a sign that side rail covers haven’t been secured probably.👍
Golf mk6 seats,Touran rear seats,carpet,console,2017 caddy life mfsw,Audi s3air vents, passsat w8 interior light, golf mk6gttdi wheels,rear barn door spoiler , rns 510 head unit , revers camera,boarded and carpeted rear with led strip lights, mk4 rear lights .
Bionicman
Hyper Poster

Post by Bionicman »

I cannot think how having the doors shut makes the side bars vibrate when setting off or driving, besides how would you know that they don`t vibrate with the doors open when your driving? I would check all mounting bracket bolts for tightness and for any sheared bracket bolts or check the inner tube end bracket welds. Can`t see it being much of a problem to get it sorted mate, worse case would be a little bit of welding.
Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Post by Doc »

I think the OP was meaning that the bars can be heard to vibrate when you shut the door. As in when the door closes the bars vibrate.
Not that it only happens when pulling off with the doors shut.
I'm open to correction on this but that's my reading of it.
I've not had the original Sportline side bars but from what I've seen they do mount up quite solid.
Maybe one part is just a little bit too close to the body.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
Bionicman
Hyper Poster

Post by Bionicman »

Yer Doc, I thought that they maybe mounted a bit close to the body and I suppose it could be possible to get vibrations if they where incorrectly installed in the first place.
I have a original VW set of these sportline side bars on my Maxi and when fitting them you can/could get them closer to the outer sill by moving the front and rear brackets underneath the van but I have never had or heard any vibration noise from them at all apart from when catching them with my foot when getting in or out of the van. Maybe its best to start again and reinstall them.
Gedi1305
Caddy Fan

Post by Gedi1305 »

Hello, yes they are on the lower skirt of the van and no i havent got a sliding door rail cover fitted (yet). I think the lower skirt side bars came original from VW with it being a sportline edition so i would assume they were fit correctly but i’ll try taking them off and re installing them incase anything is loose and check the inner tube.
Thanks for the help
Gedi1305
Caddy Fan

Post by Gedi1305 »

Hello, yes they are on the lower skirt of the van and no i havent got a sliding door rail cover fitted (yet). I think the lower skirt side bars came original from VW with it being a sportline edition so i would assume they were fit correctly but i’ll try taking them off and re installing them incase anything is loose and check the inner tube.
Thanks for the help