Power loss

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
MarkMcQ
Caddy2k Groupie

Power loss

Post by MarkMcQ »

So I’m looking for a bit of advice. I bought my caddy maxi in the summer. It’s been slightly modified in the fact that it’s had Zito wheels put on it and V Maxx lowered suspension. It’s the 102hp by the way. There is nothing when you put your foot down. Fuel consumption in poop, averaging 40mpg. VW have had it for a few days running tests on it and they say it is down to the wheels!! So they are saying I’ve lost 18-20 mpg because of the wheels being bigger! Anyone had any experience of fuel consumption loss due to lowering and wheel change?? Thanks in advance
the swan fiend
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Re: Power loss

Post by the swan fiend »

I’m not buying that mate. Going up a few inches (say to 18”, with a wider rim) will worsen consumption slightly, but I’d say the difference would be negligible.
Has it had the emissions update done?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rescue me from the swans in me
MarkMcQ
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by MarkMcQ »

They didn’t say exactly what tests they’d carried out! I asked if they’d checked dpf and they said they’d checked from “engine side”! To my knowledge, the dpf is after the engine and would therefore need an emissions test at the exhaust pipe. I’m the same as you are. No way could I lose that much fuel considering it’s all motorway!! I let the cruise control do the acceleration and there’s is no gear change for 165 miles!!
Skully
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Post by Skully »

They are talking absolute crap.
There is NO way that 18 inch wheels will cause any of that.
In fact..... the 18 inch wheels make the speedo more accurate so will actually improve the fuel consumption on the display.
Example - when I got my Caddy it had 16 inch wheels on and at a true 120kmh on GPS the speedo would show 130kmh.
Now with the 18 inch wheels at a true 120 on GPS, it shows 122kmh.

More accurate speedo equals more accurate fuel consumption calculations from the dash.

There is some other issue that they have either not seen or they are just useless.
1996 Mk3 VR6
2017 Caddy Maxi 2.0 TDI
2013 RSV4 track bike
2021 Aprilia RS 660 road bike
MarkMcQ
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by MarkMcQ »

It’s got 19 inch zito ZF01 wheels but what they tried to tell me was I had put oversized wheels on. After trying to explain that the rims were bigger but the tyre depth less and if placed next to a normal caddy wheel (15” plus tyre) then they would match. Only difference being the width of the tyre across the tread. He got it in the end but struggled. To get the fuel calculations right I brimmed the tank 3 times. Each time refilling to see what the litre/gallon consumption was. First tank, 41mpg. Second tank, 42mpg. Third tank, 40mpg. I know there’s something wrong as they gave me a swb caddy with same engine and gearbox and it knocked spots off mine!!
the swan fiend
Hyper Poster

Post by the swan fiend »

I’d take it somewhere else mate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rescue me from the swans in me
Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Post by Doc »

Just out of curiosity as I know these things affect MPG.
What tyre pressures are you running?
Have you had alignment/tracking checked?
When was your engine last serviced?
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
MarkMcQ
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by MarkMcQ »

I'd have to check tyre pressures. engine was serviced at 19,000. 2 weeks prior to having the tests done as I didn't want anything to flag up as a clogged filter or the like. I bought the van with 16k on it and it has been the same since I got it. I spoke to the dealer I bought it off and asked him did he just put shocks on and then throw the wheels and tyres on? He said he had them properly fitted and aligned. I'm thinking just take it somewhere else. to me I don't think they've tested the DPF right. I could be wrong but they say that they tested everything "from the engine side, and this would include emissions"!
Giddy
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.4TSI

Post by Giddy »

Is this Caddy4 2.0 tdi or older 1.6 tdi?
Caddy 4, Highline, 1.4 TSI
Instagram: @giddywagen
Build thread >>> here <<<
MarkMcQ
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by MarkMcQ »

VW caddy Maxi Highline 2.0tdi C20 EU6 BMT 2018 (68 plate)
Stedlocks
Hyper Poster

Post by Stedlocks »

have you checked for the emissions update?
MarkMcQ
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by MarkMcQ »

I would have hoped that when in went in to VW they would have checked for updates and recalls! Is it something I can check myself?
MarkMcQ
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by MarkMcQ »

Just checked. Mine is NOT affected by any emissions problems, updates.
dipstr
200BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.8 20V Turbo

Post by dipstr »

Is it dsg or manual box

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

MarkMcQ
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by MarkMcQ »

Manual