Rear seat conversion

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Azz03
Hyper Poster

Rear seat conversion

Post by Azz03 »

Hi guys I need a little help from anyone who’s done the touran rear seat conversion I know it’s all got to be welded but what have people done with the bit at the front how do they weld it or what do you do to hide the cables and tidy it up ready for the carpets. Literally the only part that’s thrown me. Image cheers.

ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
peely
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Re: Rear seat conversion

Post by peely »

Hi mate , I drilled holes along the edge and spot welded mine all the way round at 1 inch spacing, the cable I left there as the carpet hides it, and the trim covers if you have them , hope this helps 👍
Golf mk6 seats,Touran rear seats,carpet,console,2017 caddy life mfsw,Audi s3air vents, passsat w8 interior light, golf mk6gttdi wheels,rear barn door spoiler , rns 510 head unit , revers camera,boarded and carpeted rear with led strip lights, mk4 rear lights .
Azz03
Hyper Poster

Post by Azz03 »

Peely thanks mate I wasn’t sure if the guy I got them off had cut it to short or something but least I know it’s right and how to secure the front edge now. Yeh I’ve got everything for the seats even the bars that hold them up when folded.

Lister79
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Rear seat conversion

Post by Lister79 »

Hi mate, I drilled all the spot welds out on the Touran I removed mine from so the front section came down and sat and the lower edge (that you can see on your photos where the tank bolts are sticking through. I then stitch welded it to this with the tank removed as the heat will melt the seam sealer underneath, so this needs sorted afterward otherwise there is a risk of corrosion. The cables I used the swapped the clips that I removed from the Touran over onto my cable and then it all secures in place. But you could just tape it down to prevent any possible rubbing, as @Peely says the carpets do hide it all.
You’ll also need to remove the upper part of the bracket that the handbrake cables pass through (the part the old floor section fastened to), otherwise your carpet won’t fit.

2014 Toffee Brown with EA888 Gen 3 2.0 TSi (CJX) engine (417.5 BHP 545 Nm), Grinds/ABP air suspension and a few other mods :D
Build thread:
http://caddy2k.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=36629
Azz03
Hyper Poster

Post by Azz03 »

Lister79 that’s the only shit thing for me the guy I bought it off had already cut it out of the touran if not I’m sure I could weld something in place to hide the cables and not leave a hole behind the carpet and trims.

See I’ve heard mixed views on dropping the tank and not dropping the tank how much time does it take to drop it as I know mines about half full got to source the seat belt mech covers as well as I don’t want them on show.

Yeh I gathered that part of the floor bracket would need to go just not had chance yet in between fitting new front carpets and touran centre console not sure whether to make the vents work as well. Also I need to get the two special little bolts to hold the centre console in. Got to find the part number for it or just go my local vw van parts centre.

Lister79
Hyper Poster

Rear seat conversion

Post by Lister79 »

Yeah you’ll be able to make it work mate, once welded in place it will be fine.

It’s entirely up to you regarding the tank coming out. I know a lot of people don’t bother but for me personally it had to come out. If not for the potential future corrosion issues, the plastic fuel tank, line and fuel pump/sender loom all sit right behind the panel you’re welding to.

It’s very easy to make the vents work as the Touran ducts fit straight on to the Caddy heater.

2014 Toffee Brown with EA888 Gen 3 2.0 TSi (CJX) engine (417.5 BHP 545 Nm), Grinds/ABP air suspension and a few other mods :D
Build thread:
Azz03
Hyper Poster

Post by Azz03 »

I’m not welded in yet as I wanted to make sure I got everything squared up properly just in case I don’t fancy chopping new Welds back out lol.
I’ll probably drop the tank just to be on the safe side don’t want any future issues.

Have you managed to hide your seat belt mechs in the back also I take it you went for spreader plates in the panels for the seat belts?
Cheers mate

Lister79
Hyper Poster

Post by Lister79 »

Yeah my mechs are hidden away and I made some covers to go over them. I used original VW spreader plates for the belts. To fasten the upper ones in place I pre drilled them and the panel, then using a magnet and a bit of patience feed them up behind the panel until you can get the bolt in, then I riveted them in place. That way I can remove the belts without them dropping. You could also drill the panel only and then once the spreaders are up behind tack them in place. I tacked the lower ones in behind the floor.

Build thread:
Azz03
Hyper Poster

Post by Azz03 »

That’s what I plan to do make some covers but I have seen you can buy them from vw and I’ve got the part number somewhere. Don’t suppose you have the part number for the heating ducts from from to the rear or what ever pieces I need. Thanks.

Lister79
Hyper Poster

Post by Lister79 »

Items 8 and 9, also 11 and 13 could be the fixing you’re looking for?

And also 10 on this one

I imagine ones from a breakers would be for next to nothing.

Build thread:
Azz03
Hyper Poster

Post by Azz03 »

Thanks mate that’s exactly what I need I can now crack on and get the bits I’m missing. Thanks for the help

Azz03
Hyper Poster

Post by Azz03 »

Lister79 quick question mate I did ask someone on here but can’t find it again. When you welded the rear seat plates in what welder did you use. Mig welder? Thanks in advance

Lister79
Hyper Poster

Post by Lister79 »

Yeah mate I used a Mig welder.

Build thread:
Azz03
Hyper Poster

Post by Azz03 »

Lister79 cheers mate I knew it had to just jog my memory

Azz03
Hyper Poster

Post by Azz03 »