Edition 30 side moulding question??

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Ghost-rider
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.8 20V Turbo

Post by Ghost-rider »

Hiya all, and a happy new year

Im looking to swap the standard side mouldings/ rubbing strips on me 2012 caddy for the edition 30 versions(colour coded with the black insert), me question is are they exactly the same dimension as the standard strips other than having a sharper pointed end or ar they completly difrent all over except for maybe being the same length??

The reason i ask is i know theyll fit, but obviously me vans 7 years old, so if the edition 30 strips are thinner etc., the paint will have faded to the old strips, leaving me then with having to cut the paint back, not a major problem i know, but could do with knowing before i buy em really

Cheers in advance

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

tommyzooom
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Re: Edition 30 side moulding question??

Post by tommyzooom »

Iirc, the front ones, apart from being pointier, are approx 10mm shorter.
Modern laquered paints don't suffer from fading as mid 80s red Vauxhalls for example, I doubt it wouldn't be anything more than a bit of a polish required
My Website
My Instagram

""Don't want to meet your daddy, just want you in my Caddy"" André 3000 (2003) ;)
Barbel330
Hyper Poster

Post by Barbel330 »

Fading should be minimal but you will have to polish it up to some degree because the old ones will have left a mark. The major factor to consider is whether your doors or quarter panels have ever been resprayed before. The last thing you want is to remove the old ones and find that there's a masking edge around the moulding where it's been painted without removing it. The Ed 30 ones are smaller so there'll be no hiding any existing paint edge.
Instagram: @y_5cuf
Ghost-rider
Hyper Poster

Post by Ghost-rider »

Gotya, nice one lads, cheers for confirmin this, all my paint is completly original so it wasnt laquer lines/edges that were concernin me really, it was more a case of how much of a size difrence there would be between the edition 30 mouldings and the standard ones as i had a suspicion the edition 30 ones were smaller, but i just didnt want to go down the route of attempting to fit the edition 30 strips only to find that the faded mark left by the originals wouldnt "cut" out, or more to the point not "cut" out enuf to not bug the shit out of me

Cheers for confirmin this

RKDesigns
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Post by RKDesigns »

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
RKDesigns
Hyper Poster

Post by RKDesigns »

Looks like on my mk4 doors they are switched?? Have some edition 30’s ready... so it will become correct.

Ghost-rider
Hyper Poster

Post by Ghost-rider »

Nice, like it

Ghost-rider
Hyper Poster

Post by Ghost-rider »

Does anyone happen to know whether the mk4 caddy standard side strips are a direct swap onto a mk3, again they look a similar profile to the edition 30 strips possibly??

Last edited by dan@biali on Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed quote
tommyzooom
Hyper Poster

Post by tommyzooom »

I'm 99.9% sure they'd fit. As you say they're the same profile as the ed 30 ones
My Website
My Instagram

""Don't want to meet your daddy, just want you in my Caddy"" André 3000 (2003) ;)
Ghost-rider
Hyper Poster

Post by Ghost-rider »

The reason i ask is, i ordrd a set of standard side mouldings off me local van centre in primer(i askd if they were available in primer and was told yes), i went to pick em up yestrday only to find they was caddy 4 mouldings(in primer), i tried them up against a caddy maxi, thinking the sliding door one was too short, not knowing till now that the maxi door is bigger aparently(hence the trim being short), either way i walkd away from em and theyv ordrd me a "standard" set of mouldings which apparently only come in black satin, but now iv got me mouldings off the van this mornin, its got me wondering whether the mk4 trims would look ok

Last edited by dan@biali on Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed quote
RKDesigns
Hyper Poster

Post by RKDesigns »

Maxi has different product numbers. Mk4 mouldings shape are like the Touran mouldings so yes they are similar to the edition 30 mouldings and as well possible with the small trim on top in chrome or in primer.

tommyzooom
Hyper Poster

Post by tommyzooom »

There are specific Maxi rear mk4 mouldings now.
There wasn't any ed 30 maxi versions, but it is possible to paint/wrap the chrome parts.
More info HERE
My Website
My Instagram