Headlight switch doing nothing

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Conorwalshmk3
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Headlight switch doing nothing

Post by Conorwalshmk3 »

Hi all, I have a 2008 mark3 1.9tdi caddy

All of a sudden my headlight switch is doing nothing , the minute I turn ignition the low beams and dips come on automatic and this van does not have auto lights , front dogs and rear fogs are not working ,no loose connections and all bulbs are fine ,anyone any ideas?
Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Re: Headlight switch doing nothing

Post by Doc »

Hi, welcome to the forum.
Sorry to hear about the trouble with your headlight switch.
If you have no access to diagnostics, it maybe worth trying to borrow a switch from another VW owner if you know one with a similar generation vehicle. Anything Golf or similar size will have a switch that will be compatible with yours.
They are dead simple to remove, just push in at the O position and then rotate clockwise while pushed. The switch should latch and then pull out.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
Conorwalshmk3
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Conorwalshmk3 »

Hi doc ,Thanks for the reply ,I have access to vcds and through a full scan and center electrics I’m getting no faults down to the lighting switch ,just a indicator bulb and other nit pickie bits ,I’ll try a different switch when I get the chance to source one for free ;)
Conorwalshmk3
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Conorwalshmk3 »

hi Doc ,diagnostic (vcds) isn’t showing anything up to do with lights ,tried swapping with a different switch and still no joy,checked fuses again under steering colum and also under Bonet in other fuse box with still no joy , I think it may be brang to auto electrician as I’m out of ideas
Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Post by Doc »

Did you check the light switch measuring blocks with VCDS, to see that the switch function is actually being read by the BCM?
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
Conorwalshmk3
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Conorwalshmk3 »

Doc wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:17 pm Did you check the light switch measuring blocks with VCDS, to see that the switch function is actually being read by the BCM?
I havnt done that ,as I wouldn’t have a clue where to start to do it ,very little knowledge with vcds :lol:
Peli
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (75bhp)

Post by Peli »

Go to [Select], [09- Cent. E;ect.] and the [Meas. Blocks]. With the [Up] and [Down] you can scroll throw the Groups. I don't know the number you are looking for.

Maybe you can figure i out with the text by the blocks.
Conorwalshmk3
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Conorwalshmk3 »

Still haven’t got a chance to try the live data , anyone off the top of their head know where headlight relay is