Space saver info required

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
toffeeboy
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.8 20V Turbo

Space saver info required

Post by toffeeboy »

Hi

I've decided I really need a spare wheel for my caddy, it's currently on 17" standard VW alloys, so what size space saver do I need to keep the sizing correct or alternatively can you buy a cheap steel wheel and tyre that I can carry that'll do the same job

TIA
the swan fiend
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Re: Space saver info required

Post by the swan fiend »

Hi mate. It depends on the sidewall depth of your tyre. I’m running 225/50/17 on mine and I’ve kept the standard 195/65/15 spare. It’s not a perfect match though.
Use a website called www.willtheyfit.com and you’ll be able to see your current wheel circumference and see what size spare wheel and tyre combination will get you closest to that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rescue me from the swans in me
Giddy
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.4TSI

Post by Giddy »

The 125/70/18 space saver from Golf, etc. match the standard wheel/tyre circumference.
Caddy 4, Highline, 1.4 TSI
Instagram: @giddywagen
Build thread >>> here <<<
Barbel330
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by Barbel330 »

I’m not sure it really matters too much about the exact size as long as it fits on your van. It'll only ever be used to get you home in an emergency. I bought an 18” space saver from a Golf.
Instagram: @y_5cuf
Ghost-rider
Hyper Poster

Post by Ghost-rider »

Iv got a spare wheel your welcome to dependin on where you are mate, im in stourbridge, west midlands, i was gonna put it out for the scrapman as i was gettin fes up of lookin at it, its a 16", the rims a bit scabby, but its got a good tyre, iv even got the carrier aswell if it helps
toffeeboy
Caddy Fan

Post by toffeeboy »

I've currently got 205 x 50 x17 fitted to it
toffeeboy
Caddy Fan

Post by toffeeboy »

Ghost-rider wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:24 pm Iv got a spare wheel your welcome to dependin on where you are mate, im in stourbridge, west midlands, i was gonna put it out for the scrapman as i was gettin fes up of lookin at it, its a 16", the rims a bit scabby, but its got a good tyre, iv even got the carrier aswell if it helpsImage
I'm in Chester mate, is the carrier a simple fit on from underneath?

Thanks for the offer!
Ghost-rider
Hyper Poster

Post by Ghost-rider »

toffeeboy wrote: I'm in Chester mate, is the carrier a simple fit on from underneath?

Thanks for the offer!
Yes if your van has the fixings in the floor underneath already mate, iv only got the carrier, you wouln need the pin that goes thru it to hold it at the back of the carrier, an the two bolts an spacers at the front of the carrier, iv also got vw 17" wheels, but my spares a 16", doesnt matter tho, rolling radiuses are all within tolerance aslong as the right tyre sizes are usedImage

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Cultus
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Post by Cultus »

Just be aware that if you get a flat on the front and you put a small wheel on one side and had a large aftermarket wheel on the other side your differential will be working very hard constantly ,this will heat your gearbox oil up and I have seen people blow there diffs up just by driving home on a mismatched Tyre, best keep the size as close as possible , or if you don't swap the front flat with a rear then stick the smaller spare on the non driven wheel hub , and take it easy on the way home!