Van not starting sometimes, electrical issue?

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
LWA
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Van not starting sometimes, electrical issue?

Post by LWA » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:23 am

Recently got my 2009 1.9tdi Caddy Maxi, and the electrics have become faulty.
Van appears totally dead when trying to turn it on (no lights on dash), and the cab lights flicker, clock display turns on when doors are open, but similarly flickering.
I managed to start the van in the end after disconnecting and reconnecting the battery after a break, but then the van suddenly died again whilst driving, taking several minutes to be able to start it again. ABS and brake lights were flashing (and 3 beeps) occasionally at the start of the first journey (about miles 1-2 in), then van stopped about 11 miles in.
Could this be the 109 relay? I know it had a fault with the parrot/radio before I bought it, and the previous owner removed that fuse, could it be linked?
The more weird thing is a similar thing happened twice before, but started a few minutes later, and then no issues in the following journeys. So had this issue 3 times over the past month/1500 miles...
Cheers for your help!

gavzzorz
Caddy2k Groupie

Re: Van not starting sometimes, electrical issue?

Post by gavzzorz » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:02 am

Sounds like a loose connection, try giving the connections a wiggle, common ones to try would be...

- Battery terminals.
- Battery Negative to the chassis (behind the battery to the right).
- Engine bay fuse box connections (Take the fuse box cover off and the red wires coming up the front).

look to see if any of them are corroded also.
55 Caddy 1.9tdi ASZ - Refrofitted Cruse, Projectors, HID, Auto Wipers, Auto Lights, Footwell Lights, Highline Display, MFSW.

AliS
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by AliS » Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:00 pm

LWA wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:23 am
Recently got my 2009 1.9tdi Caddy Maxi, and the electrics have become faulty.
Van appears totally dead when trying to turn it on (no lights on dash), and the cab lights flicker, clock display turns on when doors are open, but similarly flickering.
I managed to start the van in the end after disconnecting and reconnecting the battery after a break, but then the van suddenly died again whilst driving, taking several minutes to be able to start it again. ABS and brake lights were flashing (and 3 beeps) occasionally at the start of the first journey (about miles 1-2 in), then van stopped about 11 miles in.
Could this be the 109 relay? I know it had a fault with the parrot/radio before I bought it, and the previous owner removed that fuse, could it be linked?
The more weird thing is a similar thing happened twice before, but started a few minutes later, and then no issues in the following journeys. So had this issue 3 times over the past month/1500 miles...
Cheers for your help!
How did you get on fault finding? 100/109 relay is more relating to the starter IIRC and shouldn't affect powering up the dash for instance. Some of the relays in you cab are related to ECU and could be sticky but like mentioned above it sounds like a dodge connection or possibly a short even from something like moisture/damp for instance somewhere on route to the ignition.

Cheers,

Ali

DiggbyD
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by DiggbyD » Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:47 pm

Try putting a jump lead from the engine to the battery NEGATIVE terminal - seen similar faults on other makes where the earth lead from the engine/gearbox gas become corroded (or left off after a new clutch :D )

If that helps it have a good look at the earth lead from the battery (negative terminal) to the body and the one going from the engine or 'box to the body - I only got my Caddy today so can't tell you specifically where they are - sorry.

HTH

LWA
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by LWA » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:57 am

Thanks very much for all the replies!
It's very strange, since posting, it has started fine, having done about 700 miles, and maybe started up 20/30 times - however, I'm pretty on edge about it happening again. Does this fit in with the possibility of corrosion/moisture?
Cheers