DRL bulb difficult to replace

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
4oz
Caddy2k Groupie

DRL bulb difficult to replace

Post by 4oz »

Hi,

I'm new here and was wondering if i could get some advice.
I recently brought a 2019 Caddy highline and found it impossible to fully remove the day light running bulb plug from the headlight due to the wiring behind the plug being too tight in the headlight (looks like all the wiring in the headlight has been tightly cable tied together). I took it back to the dealer and they said this is a common issue. One of the technicians had a go and I was afraid he might damage the wiring but he just about managed to fully get it out.

Does anyone else have this issue on their 2016- 2019 MK4 Caddy?
gazza31112
Hyper Poster

Re: DRL bulb difficult to replace

Post by gazza31112 »

Did it this morning, have to pull it.... Hard. It's scary af, but managed to just get it out and replace with a much larger LED bulb without anything breaking Image

Sent from my J8210 using Tapatalk

Seaview
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Post by Seaview »

Yes on MK3 drb bulb took a few minutes to change. I now have MK4 , removing bulb took me 30 minutes, shocking design.talk about making
Simple things easy. no chance. That's probably why u see so many caddy's running round with a bulb out. But . sorry I forgot .that's what's called progress.
4oz
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by 4oz »

Your lucky you managed to replace it with a larger led bulb! I tried and tried but its impossible and its not worth the hassle to force it and something breaks. I am hoping to find an LED replacement bulb the same size or smaller than the original 580 bulb.

I guess VW tried to save some money on the cabling!
BBB-Si
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by BBB-Si »

Do you have a photo of them turned on, I’m running osram nightbreaker lasers in headlights but trying to replicate the light in the DRL I can’t find anything close
gazza31112
Hyper Poster

Post by gazza31112 »

They are really bright, overall very happy with them, first few days I got no errors but recently every 5/10 times I'm getting a left DRL error, I find if I start the van with headlights on, no error, if I turn on van with lights off, I get error, only left side aswel, very odd. But I do like how they look, I could honestly use them as headlights they are so bright
First pic, old and new side by side
Second pic, both new at night ImageImage

Sent from my J8210 using Tapatalk

Last edited by gazza31112 on Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
4oz
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by 4oz »

They look nice and bright!

I'm having issues with mine I replaced them with LED canbus and they worked for a bit and then stopped. So I put the standard halogen bulbs in and only left side works but showing no errors on the right side. The right side DRL comes on with my main headlights (which are LEDs aswell) which are set to auto as I have upgraded vision pack. Does anyone have an idea of what could be causing this?
ViralEye
Hyper Poster

Post by ViralEye »

I'm looking at swapping mine for LEDs but couldn't figure out what bulb it is, so reading the above it's a 580 bulb?

I did try to remove mine to have a look but couldn't get my head around the stupid clips!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

nmiha
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by nmiha »

Hi
Has anybody this light on Caddy 4.
The lower edge is DRL beside turn light.

what type of bulb is inside ?
How to change/Access it ?
Last edited by Giddy on Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edited the picture links